• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

‘Delete them all’: Girl catches older men taking pictures of girls in bikinis on beach

I'm trying to remember if I've ever taken a pic of a male that I didn't know personally without their permission or knowledge that I was doing so.

The only times I can recall doing so is when I've been watching bands at concerts and I along with pretty much everyone else there have whipped my phone out for some pics and videos.

It's pretty normal to look at people in general and that includes those you find attractive. It's not normal to want to take a pic of them. At least in my world it's not. Why would you? My phone has pics of holidays pre covid, my husband, my doggy, friends, family and other things I like. No pics of random people. That's just weird.
Yet some photographers take pictures of random people without asking permission. Sometimes those photos are displayed in art galleries and sold to collectors. Asking the people permission would ruin the moment or particular expression the artist wants to capture. If the picture is taken in a public place no permission is needed before or after.

This is not true. Holding a sign like that is a public accusation, you had better be ready to prove it if you are challenged.

I don't think that's true. Which law covers it?

I don't think that's true. Which law covers it?
Disturbing the peace. Harassment. If the subject protests an argument will follow, voices will be raised and somebody might take a swing at someone. Giving the guy a piece of your mind is fine. The sign is a bad idea.

Video at link.

My thoughts:
1. There is no expectation of privacy in public. What those guys did was perfectly legal. Just as legal as what the girl did in videoing them and posting that video online.
2. I believe in actions and consequences. If you wear a bikini in public...you might just get photographed. I've always found the concept of a woman wearing something so revealing and sexy and then complaining when people look at her body, puzzling.
By the same token, if you're ogling girls in bikinis or taking pictures of them and get called out on it, that's fair game, too.
Free speech cuts both ways.
3. She had every right to ask him to delete the photos...and he had every right to refuse.
And what if the images were of minors? What then? Because photographing underaged girls goes from creepy to IMO unacceptable.

Disturbing the peace. Harassment. If the subject protests an argument will follow, voices will be raised and somebody might take a swing at someone. Giving the guy a piece of your mind is fine. The sign is a bad idea.

Maybe. I really don't think any of that qualifies.

Of course, each state has its own statute.

Maybe. I really don't think any of that qualifies.

Of course, each state has its own statute.
You don't think any of that qualifies as disturbing the peace? Are we keeping in mind that the creep with the camera didn't break the law?

Yet some photographers take pictures of random people without asking permission. Sometimes those photos are displayed in art galleries and sold to collectors. Asking the people permission would ruin the moment or particular expression the artist wants to capture. If the picture is taken in a public place no permission is needed before or after.
Well then shouldn’t they ask for permission after the fact?

And we really aren’t talking professional photographers here.

Well then shouldn’t they ask for permission after the fact?

And we really aren’t talking professional photographers here.
If they don't ask before they shouldn't ask after. It will just lead to arguments. If they're within the law they're fine.

And how do you know the creepy guy on the beach with a camera isn't a professional working on an exhibit?

I wouldn't take pics myself, but if they're taken within the law you can give the guy a scolding but that's about it.

If they don't ask before they shouldn't ask after. It will just lead to arguments. If they're within the law they're fine.

And how do you know the creepy guy on the beach with a camera isn't a professional working on an exhibit?

I wouldn't take pics myself, but if they're taken within the law you can give the guy a scolding but that's about it.
Good as they may be I don’t think professionals routinely use iphone cameras.

Being “within the the law” and doing the right thing don’t necessarily coincide.

I always thought that as a rule phtographers (professional ones - photjournalists) get permission to use someone’s picture when the person is the subject of the photo.

Good as they may be I don’t think professionals routinely use iphone cameras.
Not usually. But if it's what they have when they see the picture they want... And exactly how expensive a camera do you want near sand, wind, and water?
Being “within the the law” and doing the right thing don’t necessarily coincide.
I agree it's not right and I said I wouldn't do it.
I always thought that as a rule phtographers (professional ones - photjournalists) get permission to use someone’s picture when the person is the subject of the photo.
They can. But you don't need permission to shoot anything or anyone you can see when standing in a public place.

My thoughts:
1. There is no expectation of privacy in public. What those guys did was perfectly legal. Just as legal as what the girl did in videoing them and posting that video online.
2. I believe in actions and consequences. If you wear a bikini in public...you might just get photographed. I've always found the concept of a woman wearing something so revealing and sexy and then complaining when people look at her body, puzzling.
By the same token, if you're ogling girls in bikinis or taking pictures of them and get called out on it, that's fair game, too.
Free speech cuts both ways.
3. She had every right to ask him to delete the photos...and he had every right to refuse.
Between marriages when I was almost forty, I'd hit on twenty-year-olds at various dance clubs. For the most part, my advances were well received, even when I failed to land the prey. Nonetheless, there was this one who read me the riot act for "creeping" on her girlfriend. So, I asked her if she was jealous.

Me thinks that maybe the two camera dudes weren't snapping enough pics of the one whining, hence she had reason to complain.

And what if the images were of minors? What then? Because photographing underaged girls goes from creepy to IMO unacceptable.
Even if of minors, it would be legal. "Acceptable" is a value judgement. Certainly creepy.

Sure there are. Ask any black person who has ever made a white person uncomfortable. They will readily and quickly call the Uncomfortable Police.

Exactly why I defend these creepers' behavior (at least, legally). I'd hate for police (and the average moron) to have the ability to enforce their feelings.

So, here is the solution, divide the beaches into four equal sized and appealing sets of beach. over 50 years old ONLY, Female ONLY, Male ONLY, and BiGender. Strictly enforced with heavy fines and even jail time for violators.

Which set of beaches is going to be over crowded and which will be empty?

Beach going is part of mating behavior... dugh!

-
And then black, white, gay, straight, etc...beaches, too, right? Need to make sure no one is offended!

Might be legal to take the pics but I'm not going to fall over myself like others to defend the folks who carry around the pics on their iphones like some kind of trophy.

Weirdos.

Might be legal to take the pics but I'm not going to fall over myself like others to defend the folks who carry around the pics on their iphones like some kind of trophy.

Weirdos.

You never have to defend the nice flowery speech. It's the tough cases that need defending. The controversial crap. And yes, I'm proud to defend people's rights to act legally...even if their actions are creepy.

:rolleyes: Appears those women are so old they forgot the type of creepy guys that do that.

Yes, now that I'm older I don't get it as much but it's a relief. But omg I can see all those nasty pervs looking at my preteen daughter and trust me if I see them take pictures of her, I'd smack that phone out of their hands.

Men taking photos or recordings of young girls in public is certainly creepy but not illegal. I'm talking about 21 and up being leered at by males of a similar age.

How old, is "old" to you?

My age? This really is not about ageism for me, its about the wide age differences between men and girls. I have had personal experiences (I wasn't molested or raped, though a couple of situations could have led to it) with much older men when I was around 8-10 years old, 15 & 16. These experiences were scary, uncomfortable and yes - creepy. I have a strong creepy radar, and men sneakily taking pictures of young girls sets it off.

My age? This really is not about ageism for me, its about the wide age differences between men and girls. I have had personal experiences (I wasn't molested or raped, though a couple of situations could have led to it) with much older men when I was around 8-10 years old, 15 & 16. These experiences were scary, uncomfortable and yes - creepy. I have a strong creepy radar, and men sneakily taking pictures of young girls sets it off.
I agree.. and I'm sorry.. your story is shared with just about every woman I ever met.. my therapist has a stalker, all of my former girlfriends have described an experience with some perv that tried to pray or did pray on them.

Regarding age difference: I'm 60 and would be uncomfortable dating a woman under 30... unless a 29 year-old can convince me she's a Mensa member with at least an above-average level of common sense.. I wouldn't be comfortable going any younger.

I agree.. and I'm sorry.. your story is shared with just about every woman I ever met.. my therapist has a stalker, all of my former girlfriends have described an experience with some perv that tried to pray or did pray on them.

Regarding age difference: I'm 60 and would be uncomfortable dating a woman under 30... unless a 29 year-old can convince me she's a Mensa member with at least an above-average level of common sense.. I wouldn't be comfortable going any younger.

Thanks. I was never actually even touched by any of them, but they were close enough and I was vulnerable enough that at least 2 of those situations could have ended badly for me. The third was just a general creeper I think.

Dating is a whole different thing. You're getting to know each other, not sneaking pictures, and you're both willing partners. Entirely different. I've never been interested in an age difference of more than a few years, but that's just for me. As long as everyone is a consenting adult, I don't care what others do. :)

You don't think any of that qualifies as disturbing the peace? Are we keeping in mind that the creep with the camera didn't break the law?

I really don't. I don't think anybody is breaking the law.

Back
Top Bottom