• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

‘Can’t possibly be serious’: Trump’s bid to shore up jobless aid falls short

Greenbeard

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
A reminder that Trump's stunt is lowering people's checks by hundreds of dollars a week as he and the GOP block federal help for the unemployed.

Tens of millions of jobless Americans are unlikely to see their weekly unemployment checks grow anytime soon — despite President Donald Trump’s executive action promising an extra $400 a week.

The president’s order depends on already cash-poor states being able to create and implement a new system and fund one-fourth of the aid, which for many governors would be a difficult if not impossible task.

It also would draw from a limited pool of funding, meaning enhanced benefits might only last a few weeks once the program is up and running. And it imposes a minimum benefit requirement, which could render some low-wage and gig workers ineligible.

"I honestly think this can’t possibly be serious,” said Michele Evermore, a senior policy analyst with the liberal-leaning National Employment Law Project. “The White House must have released this thinking that this is just a negotiating tactic because it really is an empty promise.”

As always, all sizzle and no steak. Treating people's lives like a TV show is incredibly cruel.

Time to quit playing games and stop blocking the Dems' Heroes Act (passed by the House three months ago).

Donald Trump cons these suckers in broad daylight and they have no embarrassment.

And then they wait for the next con to fall for it.

A reminder that Trump's stunt is lowering people's checks by hundreds of dollars a week as he and the GOP block federal help for the unemployed.

As always, all sizzle and no steak. Treating people's lives like a TV show is incredibly cruel.

Time to quit playing games and stop blocking the Dems' Heroes Act (passed by the House three months ago).

Now wait just a minute... Just two days ago Trump supporters were all giddy that Trump "outflanked" the democrats.... Are you suggesting that after reading the fine print the American public isn't impressed?

:2razz:

Now wait just a minute... Just two days ago Trump supporters were all giddy that Trump "outflanked" the democrats.... Are you suggesting that after reading the fine print the American public isn't impressed?

:2razz:

Taking 'credit' for lowering people's checks seemed dumb at the time. Taking credit for the evictions that are about to happen seemed dumb at the time. Taking credit for defunding Social Security seemed dumb at the time.

We've had a little time to digest it now. Still seems like those are all pretty dumb things to do.

Why should they give the Dems their wish list?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Why should the country be held hostage by the progressives when Trump has a pen.

I think that is a fine strategy 84 days before the election... I highly recommend the RNC and Trump continue this strategy...

I think that is a fine strategy 84 days before the election... I highly recommend the RNC and Trump continue this strategy...
Im sure they will be relieved to know that they have your approval.

Why should the country be held hostage by the progressives when Trump has a pen.

You've got it backwards. Trump is the one holding up crucial economic aid. He blocked the only relief bill Congress has passed and instead faked aid by putting out these useless memos that don't actually help anyone.

You've got it backwards. Trump is the one holding up crucial economic aid. He blocked the only relief bill Congress has passed and instead faked aid by putting out these useless memos that don't actually help anyone.
He didnt block anything. Congress is unable to pass a bill, he breaking the log jam and offerimg people relief.
The fact thst Congress is unable to get a bill to his desk is not Trumps fault.

He didnt block anything. Congress is unable to pass a bill, he breaking the log jam and offerimg people relief.
The fact thst Congress is unable to get a bill to his desk is not Trumps fault.

The House did pass a bill. The Senate GOP delegated negotiation to the White House. And the White House blew up the talks because it's not interested in delivering aid.

The executive order stunt to defund Social Security doesn't help anyone.

Last edited:
The House did pass a bill. The Senate GOP delegated negotiation to the White House. And the White House blew up the talks because it's not interested in delivering aid.

The executive order stunt to defund Social Security doesn't help anyone.

The inaccurate way you are portraying this in an attempt to squarely lay blame at the feet of Trump and falsely claiming he is defunding S.S. isnt helping anyone either.

The inaccurate way you are portraying this in an attempt to squarely lay blame at the feet of Trump and falsely claiming he is defunding S.S. isnt helping anyone either.

Trump's the reason the Heroes Act (which passed the House three months ago) hasn't been taken up by the Senate. He wanted less aid and decided he could settle for none if it came to that. Which it has. Meanwhile he saw an opportunity and decided to try and starve Social Security while he was at it.

Trump's the reason the Heroes Act (which passed the House three months ago) hasn't been taken up by the Senate. He wanted less aid and decided he could settle for none if it came to that. Which it has. Meanwhile he saw an opportunity and decided to try and starve Social Security while he was at it.
What concessions have the democrats offered to amend their bill to meet the republicans in the middle?

Back
Top Bottom