• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

‘Boilerplate Doesn’t Cut It’: Judge Finds Donald Trump in Contempt of Court for Flouting an Order to Comply with Letitia James’ Subpoena

Liberal7360

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
The judge held trump in contempt and now imposing 10 grand a day fine on him for not complying with a court order.

I don't know why trump and his people believe that he and they are special and don't have to follow our laws. Thankfully this judge is holding trump to the same laws the rest of us have to follow.

I'm sure he will appeal and lose.

The judge held trump in contempt and now imposing 10 grand a day fine on him for not complying with a court order.

I don't know why trump and his people believe that he and they are special and don't have to follow our laws. Thankfully this judge is holding trump to the same laws the rest of us have to follow.

While $10K a day is a considerable sum, I'm not sure that's enough to bring Trump to the table.

I don't know why trump and his people believe that he and they are special and don't have to follow our laws.
Because the judge is only fining him ten grand a day. That's $365,000 a year. Nothing compared to what complying would cost him.

I don't think you can appeal a contempt order can you? 10K a day will bug him but no doubt the fundraising email went out today....

He will just use "donations" from his supporters to pay it.

I think the judge will have to progressively up the fine over time.

Given enough back & forth, I suspect he can order Trump to appear before him.

I don't think you can appeal a contempt order can you? 10K a day will bug him but no doubt the fundraising email went out today....

I just looked it up. Yes a person has 30 days to appeal.

Senator Barry Goldwater [R-AZ] once said "No one is above the law, not even the President." (ref Goldwater v. Carter).

Of course Sen. Goldwater WAS talking about a President who did NOT belong to the Republican Party.

I think the judge will have to progressively up the fine over time.

Given enough back & forth, I suspect he can order Trump to appear before him.
Trump will probably appeal, or submit a much more detailed, 'non boilerplate' response, which documents their efforts to search for the requested documents. I will be curious to see the judge's actual ruling, when it's available.

Given Trump's response that he doesn't have the documents requested, it's not clear what James hopes to gain by continuing down this rabbit hole. The response was that Trump (the person) doesn't have custody of the documents she is looking for, and that she should ask the Trump Organization (the business) for these documents. It makes sense that The Trump Organization in New York would maintain the detailed records she's looking for. The organization maintains hundreds of properties. Trump (the person) probably never even looked at the underlying documentation for the handful of properties she's looking into, and certainly wouldn't have kept personal copies. The logical step would be for her to subpoena the Trump Organization (the business), and get them to commit to a response. If they don't produce them, then you take both back to the judge.

“After conducting a diligent search and review, Respondent’s counsel determined that Respondent was not in possession of any documents responsive to the Subpoena and that all potentially responsive documents were in the possession, custody or control of the Trump Organization,” Habba wrote in a court filing last week.

Trump will probably appeal, or submit a much more detailed, 'non boilerplate' response, which documents their efforts to search for the requested documents. I will be curious to see the judge's actual ruling, when it's available.

Given Trump's response that he doesn't have the documents requested, it's not clear what James hopes to gain by continuing down this rabbit hole. The response was that Trump (the person) doesn't have custody of the documents she is looking for, and that she should ask the Trump Organization (the business) for these documents. It makes sense that The Trump Organization in New York would maintain the detailed records she's looking for. The organization maintains hundreds of properties. Trump (the person) probably never even looked at the underlying documentation for the handful of properties she's looking into, and certainly wouldn't have kept personal copies. The logical step would be for her to subpoena the Trump Organization (the business), and get them to commit to a response. If they don't produce them, then you take both back to the judge.

Isn't Trump the business?

I doubt the judge wants to do that in a civil matter but if he pushes it too far that may be the only choice the judge has.......how the thought of that makes me smile
I can also see that 10K a day get upped too.

Isn't Trump the business?
Trump OWNS the business. He left the day-to-day operations six years ago. The business would be the custodian of the records, and the appropriate place to go.

Could Trump get the business to provide the records? I'm sure he could. Is he splitting hairs? Sure. But these types of distinctions are important in the law.

Trump OWNS the business. He left the day-to-day operations six years ago. The business would be the custodian of the records, and the appropriate place to go.

Could Trump get the business to provide the records? I'm sure he could. Is he splitting hairs? Sure. But these types of distinctions are important in the law.
Trump still owns the business...he has to turn over the records. It is a privately held business, regardless of who handles operations....and he is the owner....so, he is the appropriate person to hold responsible.

And NO TEETH to enforce, yes?
Show us the "teeth", otherwise so called "contempt" charges have all the weight of a sternly worded letter from Susan Collins.
If he refuses to pay, WILL HE be ARRESTED?

Senator Barry Goldwater [R-AZ] once said "No one is above the law, not even the President." (ref Goldwater v. Carter).

Of course Sen. Goldwater WAS talking about a President who did NOT belong to the Republican Party.
Goldwater ALSO marched with his friends over to the Oval Office to deliver a similar message to Tricky Dicky.

Back
Top Bottom