• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

‘Appalling’ Video Shows the Police Yanking 1-Year-Old From His Mother’s Arms

JANFU

Land by the Gulf Stream
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/09/nyregion/nypd-jazmine-headley-baby-video.html

A video that shows police officers trying to remove a woman’s 1-year-old son from her grasp as they arrested her in a Brooklyn food stamp office ignited a fury on social media and prompted calls on Sunday for an explanation from the police.

A Facebook user who uploaded the video said the police had been called on Friday after the woman, identified by the police as Jazmine Headley, 23, sat on the floor of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program office in Boerum Hill because there were no available chairs.

From the link
Officer who had previously yanked on the baby, point and waved the stun gun at onlookers
Can you say over reaction and need to work on deescalation skills?

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brie...ideo-showing-cops-ripping-baby-out-of-mothers

Thankfully, the baby's binky was not silver.

Predictably, we don't have a video of whatever precipitated it, so people so-inclined can predictably laugh off the behavior of these government agents. It begins with Ms. Headley lying on the floor, cradling her son and yelling, “They’re hurting my son! They’re hurting my son!" A female sergeant and three police officers, two of whom appear to be women, surround Ms. Headley and attempt to pull the child away. Then one officer, her back facing the camera, repeatedly yanks the child in an apparent attempt to separate him from his mother. After more officers join the fray, the officer who yanked the child waves a yellow stun gun at the outraged crowd of onlookers, which includes several children and people filming with their cellphones.
[. . .]
The Police Department called Friday’s incident “troubling” in a statement on Sunday, and said officers had responded to a 911 call for harassment. When the officers arrived, security guards told them that Ms. Headley had refused to leave. The police officers told Ms. Headley to leave “numerous times,” the police said, and after she refused, the security guards “brought the woman to the floor.” Police officers then tried to arrest her; despite her resistance, she was taken into custody, the police said. Ms. Headley was charged with resisting arrest, acting in a manner injurious to a child, obstructing governmental administration and trespassing. The police said she refused medical treatment for herself and her son, who was placed in the care of a relative.

And no doubt the stun gun will be OK because the cops were scared of the crowd, nevermind that even if it were true it only happened because of their manner of approaching the original situation (which, again, is conveniently not on film)

Last edited:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/09/nyregion/nypd-jazmine-headley-baby-video.html

From the link
Officer who had previously yanked on the baby, point and waved the stun gun at onlookers

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brie...ideo-showing-cops-ripping-baby-out-of-mothers

Thankfully, the baby's binky was not silver.

And no doubt the stun gun will be OK because the cops were scared of the crowd, nevermind that even if it were true it only happened because of their manner of approaching the original situation (which, again, is conveniently not on film)

So what would you two have done? How would you have deescalated things? How long would you have tried to do so before saying "enough is enough"? Mind you, all the while crime in other areas are happening that may need more attention. This is Brooklyn after all.

So what would you two have done? How would you have deescalated things? How long would you have tried to do so before saying "enough is enough"? Mind you, all the while crime in other areas are happening that may need more attention. This is Brooklyn after all.

Start with the Security Guard over reacting, poor supervision and a small thing like sitting on the floor got completely out of hand.

Not enough chairs, she sat on the floor. People will sit when they are faced with long waits, longer lineups.
Tell me what you would do?

Jackbooted schutzstaffel at their best. Egregious violation of this woman's rights.

I tire of seeing this.

My question is, when will "we the people" stand up to the police in instances of abuse like this? Why remain an onlooker while the state violates and abuses a fellow citizen, extrajudicially and extraconstitutionally?

Start with the Security Guard over reacting, poor supervision and a small thing like sitting on the floor got completely out of hand.

Over reacting? How do you know that they did? Maybe they were told to address the woman. Maybe the woman was being rude and that her sitting on the floor had nothing to do with what started it all.

...Point is that we don't know the circumstances. All we have is a very one sided story with video that doesn't show anything about the beginning of it all. Just the very tail end of it all. And its because of that that I can't say what I would have done. Not enough information. I know what I would have done if I had been that woman holding onto the child though.....I sure as hell wouldn't be holding the child so hard that the police had to yank like that to attempt to get the kid away. I would have let go so as to ensure that no harm would come to the kid.

Over reacting? How do you know that they did? Maybe they were told to address the woman. Maybe the woman was being rude and that her sitting on the floor had nothing to do with what started it all.

...Point is that we don't know the circumstances. All we have is a very one sided story with video that doesn't show anything about the beginning of it all. Just the very tail end of it all. And its because of that that I can't say what I would have done. Not enough information. I know what I would have done if I had been that woman holding onto the child though.....I sure as hell wouldn't be holding the child so hard that the police had to yank like that to attempt to get the kid away. I would have let go so as to ensure that no harm would come to the kid.

Why did the SG and Police escalate. That in itself is a problem. That is something that Police should have received training in.
Now here holding onto the baby was all kinds of wrong.

Now these Officers need training in deescalation skill sets.

The baby didn't comply. It should have known better!

Why did the SG and Police escalate. That in itself is a problem. That is something that Police should have received training in.

You can only attempt to deescalate for so long before action has to be taken. Everyone always claims that cops should have tried to deescalate and need training in such. Most of the time its said when only a small part of the story is told and no one knows what actually went on.

You can only attempt to deescalate for so long before action has to be taken. Everyone always claims that cops should have tried to deescalate and need training in such. Most of the time its said when only a small part of the story is told and no one knows what actually went on.

They do require training in de-escalation. I am sick and tired of seeing my tax dollars go to pay settlements for aggrieved parties treated rashly by our police force.

One bad apple spoils the bunch.

They do require training in de-escalation. I am sick and tired of seeing my tax dollars go to pay settlements for aggrieved parties treated rashly by our police force.

One bad apple spoils the bunch.

Even with the best training in the world there are times that it simply won't work through no fault of the LEO's.

I would let her sit on the floor

From the link

First off.... The VIDEO is in fact appalling... It just looks hella bad NOW..... let me ask a whole slew of HONEST Questions.

1) Context.....Did she break the law.... to be detained... (Yes or NO) If yes... the separation of child and then detainment is NO different around the Country. From Abusive parents, Drugs, Illegal Migration PERIOD. If this was illegal detainment then we GOT IT ON CAMERA and these Cops will not only face Justice but PUBLIC Justice.

2) Why do people NOT comply? Why scream and Make HUGE amounts of noise and more so resist? With that if she is mentally ill then the mother and child in care might NOT be in the childs best interest?

3) Something REALLY concerning. Do you NOTICE that many of the actions taken by PARENTS are ULTIMATELY PUTTING the child at RISK PERIOD? If the Parent complied the child would have been taken in the custody of the Police NOT some random person. The Adult can then explain the situation and if warranted be released with their child if NOT face the LAW.... THATS WHAT WE HAVE LAWS FOR.

3a) Migrants at the border You see 100 people charging the border.... they put you IN THE FRONT what the heck do you expect. As a PARENT YOU RUSH the border with your child? Is THAT responsible and then CRY Foul that you get gassed and then get the Liberal Media to cry a river for you call it inhumane. YOU WERE THERE if you didnt want that. WHY be in the front.....

4) ALL this Child BS..... Is this NOT our fault that we are NOW using CHILDREN NOT for the honest better life.... BUT using children as PERSONAL Shields When we commit criminal acts. THIS IS BS as we perpetuate and make it OK that SINCE you have a child you can at up and get Sympathy.... It perpetuating the thought that committing a crime with a child in tow will lesson the crime.... NO we should discourage this act and make it MORE punishable as you INTENTIONALLY put the CHILD at risk for a selfish reason.

Anyways... setping off soap box..... VIDEO looks Horrible..... But I have seen way worse..... secondly its on Video... cops are wrong its on video for the world to see. Parent is Wrong its on Video but the cops will still get blasted by public opinion SAD. as the Law is only good when it fits YOUR emotions.....

Even with the best training in the world there are times that it simply won't work through no fault of the LEO's.

I agree, there are times it wont work.

So?

Do we ignore the entirety of the issue because sometimes it may not work?

We just keep allowing the state to tyrannically enact its will through fiat agents?

I agree, there are times it wont work.

So?

Do we ignore the entirety of the issue because sometimes it may not work?

We just keep allowing the state to tyrannically enact its will through fiat agents?

How about we TEACH our children how to act and comply more so how to respect the LAW to live in a civil society.

Generations are empowered to disrespect others, Elders, LEOs and those of responsibility.

You remember the days where you got an ass whipping from your parents? YEAH I remember those days. and I have YET seen the inside of a jail cell. Now days its ILL call CPS on you or you see children acting up and causing havoc.

What about days of discipline at school. Hell even Basic training (Cant Swear, Cant touch a trainee etc) We have come to a point where its MORE worse to discipline our people than it is to commit the crime.

Good example, guy breaks into my home and I shoot him. He is guilty of breaking in, but now I am sued civilly and a smart lawyer now gets him a settlement from myself and my insurance company. WTF is that BS..... They broke into my home so you are SAYING you now increase the Reward for the RISK?

The Perfect example for the above is the Mother should have just complied. figured out WTF was going on. if it was a misunderstanding then so be it... But Comply. if it was a detain-able act that SHE SHOULD NOT HAVE DONE IT WITH HER CHILD IN TOW.

We live in a generation where its BETTER to challenge authority than it is to respect it. People DONT respect LEO's. The CHALLENGE them. If you DID NOTHING wrong, comply and it will be cleared. You want your 15minutes of fame and you want to win the support of the public through emotion.. Will only create MORE animosity and more divide.

COMPLY COMPLY COMPLY COMPLY... RESPECT people, RESPECT LAW and RESPECT order.....

And idiots will wonder what people have against cops. Bullies who think being a cop makes them god. A white women wouldn't be treated like that.

Story after story about this racist bull**** and people of color being treated differently than white people. And there was a case where a woman got 51 years for killing the guy that bough her as a sex slave. Imagine a white women getting convicted of that?

Because they are asshole that think people should worship them since they are cops. Abusing their authority and how dare anybody not do as they say

No one in his/her right mind would want to be a police officer today.

We live in a society where people of all ages, ethnicities, and genders are defiant and think that they can break the law without consequences.

And in some cases, they are right: many district attorneys, for example, no longer will prosecute "petty" shoplifters (because there are so many).

And many police officers will ignore other "petty" crimes lest they be accused of you-know-what.

Mrs. Headley is a prime example of refusing to obey legal commands and then complaining about the officers who had the misfortune to have to deal with her.

Someday, the American people (regardless of ethnicity) are going to demand "law and order." Republicans should wait patiently: Someday the people are going to beg them to return to office and clean up the lawlessness when crime reaches the proportions that one finds in Brazil and South Africa.

I can't help that the UC Berkley video comes to mind quickly here. No context, immediate assumption that the cops are evil aggressors, etc. Add the fact that this woman is screaming and holding her baby like it's someone else that is endangering the child and not the woman who would rather have her child at risk for serious injury than allow LEOs to see to its safety.

I won't be surprised at all if we find out the rest of the story just like Berkley and there was a crime committed and the whole situation could have been avoided by skipping the drama and victim acting. "Oh they pepper sprayed me for no reason! No matter I was keeping them from making a rightful arrest by blocking their path and impeding the practice of law enforcement! look at what a victim I am!"

If she was innocent, surrendering the child was the safest thing for it.

We may never get the full story, but we sure have a great vid for inspiring further idiocy. Good thing she was a minority, or people might not be enraged on behalf of her for endangering her child and breaking the law.

Sad how some people here don't mind that infant being treated like a football....

tumblr_p3sjz2Jd4H1r55d2io1_1280.jpg

No words can describe what inhumane filth you really are.

No one in his/her right mind would want to be a police officer today.........

;)

Not in their right mind pretty much sums up the authorities behavior there.

Back
Top Bottom