• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

‘And then we wept': Scientists say 93 percent of the Great Barrier Reef now bleached

Re: ‘And then we wept': Scientists say 93 percent of the Great Barrier Reef now bleac

I'll show you that as soon as you show me someone "engaging in self-loathing every time a cloud moves overhead."

See, I was just mirroring your absurd hyperbole.

Do you have a mirror handy?

Re: ‘And then we wept': Scientists say 93 percent of the Great Barrier Reef now bleac

...I'm not sure what you are freaking out over about clouds. Clouds do affect local temperature, you know.
We arent talking about local temperature...we are talking about 'climate change'. The article posits that 'climate change' is causing the bleaching of 93% of the barrier reef (well...no...thats the lie the title promoted). But somehow...cloud coverage was significant enough to prevent climate change in one tiny area. Its just more of the asinine and goofy pro AGW 'climate change rhetoric. Man is creatign climate change! but...luckily...clouds saved this small little area.

If you dont see how goofy that article is, then you should make sure you thank your AGW pastor and leave a nice contribution in the plate on the way out.

**** happens

Your apparent lack of concern with environmental damage coupled with your climate change denial says all we need to know.

**** really does happens, where human perception of reality is concerned.

Your apparent lack of concern with environmental damage coupled with your climate change denial says all we need to know.
What does it tell you?

**** really does happens, where human perception of reality is concerned.
And that means what?

What does it tell you?

And that means what?

All this ntells me is the alarmists are idiots!

They take any natural condition, and blame mankind.

Next, they will be saying CO2 cause acne!

We arent talking about local temperature...we are talking about 'climate change'. The article posits that 'climate change' is causing the bleaching of 93% of the barrier reef (well...no...thats the lie the title promoted). But somehow...cloud coverage was significant enough to prevent climate change in one tiny area. Its just more of the asinine and goofy pro AGW 'climate change rhetoric. Man is creatign climate change! but...luckily...clouds saved this small little area.

If you dont see how goofy that article is, then you should make sure you thank your AGW pastor and leave a nice contribution in the plate on the way out.

I'm really not understanding why you are skeptical that local cloud cover could have an effect on local temperature and therefore have an effect on local coral bleaching. Can you elaborate further?

I'm really not understanding why you are skeptical that local cloud cover could have an effect on local temperature and therefore have an effect on local coral bleaching. Can you elaborate further?
Alleging that AGW is causing "Climate Change" seems rather stupid when in the same breath you suggest a little bit of cloud coverage for a few weeks will counters AGW and 'Climate Change'.

Alleging that AGW is causing "Climate Change" seems rather stupid when in the same breath you suggest a little bit of cloud coverage for a few weeks will counters AGW and 'Climate Change'.

Only if you're entirely unfamiliar with... well, all kinds of stuff. Like, basic math and statistical concepts. And pretty much all of climate science.

Only if you're entirely unfamiliar with... well, all kinds of stuff. Like, basic math and statistical concepts. And pretty much all of climate science.

:lamo

I love you religious guys. I really do. What's funnier than people rending clothing and weeping and wailing about AGW and temperature records and rising ocean temperatures only to be saved by a few weeks of cloud coverage?

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Yawn...

It's another cyclical feature of nature.

CoralreefpH_zps1cb6434e.png

Ah, I see you're dishonestly presenting the Pelejero paper again.

Maybe you should read the review where he says this:

"Glacial–interglacial seawater pH has changed in harmony with CO2 levels in the atmosphere. This knowledge places into context the changes we are facing today, in pCO2 and in pH, which are happening 100- times faster than during glacial–interglacial transitions. The average surface pH levels that oceans have reached today are already more extreme than those experienced by the oceans during the glacial–interglacial changes and beyond, probably being more extreme than at any time during the last 20 million years. Ocean pH levels that might be reached by the end of the twenty-first century are unprecedented in at least 40 million years."

http://www.as.wvu.edu/biology/bio46...Paleo perspectives on ocean acidification.pdf

Ah, I see you're dishonestly presenting the Pelejero paper again.

Maybe you should read the review where he says this:

"Glacial–interglacial seawater pH has changed in harmony with CO2 levels in the atmosphere. This knowledge places into context the changes we are facing today, in pCO2 and in pH, which are happening 100- times faster than during glacial–interglacial transitions. The average surface pH levels that oceans have reached today are already more extreme than those experienced by the oceans during the glacial–interglacial changes and beyond, probably being more extreme than at any time during the last 20 million years. Ocean pH levels that might be reached by the end of the twenty-first century are unprecedented in at least 40 million years."

http://www.as.wvu.edu/biology/bio46...Paleo perspectives on ocean acidification.pdf

Looks like they joined the bandwagon in making a statement that appeals to the dogma. Their data does not support that conclusion.

Please note that they say "glacial-interglacial" meaning the longer term signal. It does not dismiss the interdecadal signal. Then they elude to pCO2 making the drastic changes without actually saying it. Funny how figure 1 has a downward spike in pH around 1930 lower than today. pH wasn't elevated much then!

Looks like they joined the bandwagon in making a statement that appeals to the dogma. Their data does not support that conclusion.

Please note that they say "glacial-interglacial" meaning the longer term signal. It does not dismiss the interdecadal signal. Then they elude to pCO2 making the drastic changes without actually saying it. Funny how figure 1 has a downward spike in pH around 1930 lower than today. pH wasn't elevated much then!

Great analysis.

I'm sure the guys at the coffee shop are impressed.

But the scientists who study this are the ones who wrote the review.

Great analysis.

I'm sure the guys at the coffee shop are impressed.

But the scientists who study this are the ones who wrote the review.

But the review doesn't say what you think it says.

But the review doesn't say what you think it says.

You're right. I only cut and pasted the conclusion directly from the article.

It probably says the opposite in the main body.

As a scuba diver this saddens me. As a person who understands what cascade effect means, this scares me.

As a scuba diver this saddens me. As a person who understands what cascade effect means, this scares me.

I'm not saying climate changes are something not to worry about. I just get rather incensed when everything is blamed on man's actions.

Think about it.

No matter what happens in the climate, there is someone out there saying "AGW is to blame."

:lamo

I love you religious guys. I really do. What's funnier than people rending clothing and weeping and wailing about AGW and temperature records and rising ocean temperatures only to be saved by a few weeks of cloud coverage?

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

You didn't read the article very carefully, did you

This is why we, as a species, are unlikely to hack it in the end. The Earth will regenerate as it always does until the Sun absorbs it, but the lack of consideration of long term damage or lack of concern over how devastating millions of years of ecosystems and the long term impact of things needed for life to exist in the fashion that it does currently is, well, staggering and common amongst homo sapiens. As a species, we're a literal contradiction --we're smart enough to know better, but too greedy and ignorant to care enough to stop ourselves.

What can I say? We evolved on plains to deal with four-legged, feral predators, and then to fend off the ultimate super predators --each other. All in all, I suspect that we will be a tiny, highly destructive blip in the earth's ecosystem. What a shame, intelligence is such an interesting and novel evolution.

or the lack there of....the sorry thing is, some care and some don't and we will all die anyway because of the ignorance of the many *shrug* I don't really care but it is sort of a pity that stupidity equals mob rule until we evolve further

You didn't read the article very carefully, did you
Completely and then some.

Like I said. I love you religious guys. You are so anxious to swallow anything you dont care what it tastes like.

Completely and then some.

Like I said. I love you religious guys. You are so anxious to swallow anything you dont care what it tastes like.

No, you clearly didn't.

Because you're baffled by the idea that warming trends don't cover 100% of the planet 100% of the time.

You're baffled by the notion that annual variability... exists. You're baffled by the notion of seasonal effects on coral.

No, you clearly didn't.

Because you're baffled by the idea that warming trends don't cover 100% of the planet 100% of the time.

You're baffled by the notion that annual variability... exists. You're baffled by the notion of seasonal effects on coral.
Not at all baffled. Extraordinarily amused by you religious types that are constantly ****ting yourself about AGW and 'climate change' only to be stymied by a little bit of cloud coverage.

You will believe anything they tell you.

Amen

Not at all baffled. Extraordinarily amused by you religious types that are constantly ****ting yourself about AGW and 'climate change' only to be stymied by a little bit of cloud coverage.

You will believe anything they tell you.

Amen

Ahh, so you think the report is lying.

Dont care. I will care when my beloved oysters die. I already told my kids to may sure they get their fill of seafood now, because the oceans are dying and we wont be able to stop it. We mismanage the ocean, we pollute it, and temp rise will decimate the current ecosystem and anything that takes its place that is worth eating will be over fished from the start so it will never take hold. We cant overcome all that till we get a global government, by then it will likely be too late for the oceans.

Last edited:

Very touching. But it doesn't explain why I, or anyone else for that matter, should give a crap. Nor does it explain what should be done about it or how it could have been avoided. All you have done is lament the damage supposedly done by you and your fellow man. Want a pristine, unchanging environment? Move to the moon. This planet is in a constant state of change.

No, you won't give a crap...because it isn't directly affecting you to any extent that you personally see. But if you're in, say, your twenties or thirties, when your children are older, they will see it directly affecting them...and your grandchildren most certainly will. And they'll wonder how you could possibly have refused to see what should have been so incredibly obvious.

Ahh, so you think the report is lying.
Ive already cited the problems with the report starting with the lie in the title.

And I think you will swallow anything. I think its HILARIOUS you think AGW is causing climate change and that it is on an ever increasing upward trend...except that part where it was thwarted by some clouds that saved that particular section of the barrier reef.

Hilarious.

Back
Top Bottom