• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

‘A get out of jail free card’: GOP bill would eliminate age requirements for marriages in Tennessee

beefheart

Ice Cream for Crow?
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Of course the talibornagain is against same sex marriage because they think its icky.

But in Tennessee, they think it is just ducky to marry children.

Xenu wept.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) – A proposal making its way through the state legislature would establish a common-law marriage between “one man” and “one woman.”
Opponents of the bill (HB 233) say it would eliminate an age requirement, and in some instances, open the door for a coverup of child sex abuse.
The bill’s sponsor, Tom Leatherwood (R-Arlington) said the law being considered would add a new marriage option for Tennesseans. “So, all this bill does is give an alternative form of marriage for those pastors and other individuals who have a conscientious objection to the current pathway to marriage in our law.”
But missing from the bill are age requirements, opening the door for possible child marriages. Something the bill sponsor acknowledged during a Children and Family Affairs subcommittee. “There is not an explicit age limit,” Leatherwood said.
Representative Mike Stewart (D-Nashville), who sits on the subcommittee the bill passed out of, said he doesn’t understand the motivation. “I don’t think any normal person thinks we shouldn’t have an age requirement for marriage.”
He added it could open up the possibility to cover up child sex abuse. “It should not be there as it’s basically a get out of jail free card for people who are basically committing statutory rape — I mean it’s completely ridiculous, so that’s another reason why this terrible bill should be eliminated,” Steward said.

Of course the talibornagain is against same sex marriage because they think its icky.

Xenu wept.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) – A proposal making its way through the state legislature would establish a common-law marriage between “one man” and “one woman.”
Opponents of the bill (HB 233) say it would eliminate an age requirement, and in some instances, open the door for a coverup of child sex abuse.
The bill’s sponsor, Tom Leatherwood (R-Arlington) said the law being considered would add a new marriage option for Tennesseans. “So, all this bill does is give an alternative form of marriage for those pastors and other individuals who have a conscientious objection to the current pathway to marriage in our law.”
But missing from the bill are age requirements, opening the door for possible child marriages. Something the bill sponsor acknowledged during a Children and Family Affairs subcommittee. “There is not an explicit age limit,” Leatherwood said.
Representative Mike Stewart (D-Nashville), who sits on the subcommittee the bill passed out of, said he doesn’t understand the motivation. “I don’t think any normal person thinks we shouldn’t have an age requirement for marriage.”
He added it could open up the possibility to cover up child sex abuse. “It should not be there as it’s basically a get out of jail free card for people who are basically committing statutory rape — I mean it’s completely ridiculous, so that’s another reason why this terrible bill should be eliminated,” Steward said.
This seems to be the real reason for the bill:

SB562/HB233 creates a "Record of Marital Contract at Common Law" to be filed by county clerks and establishes common law marriage in the state as "between one man and one woman," according to an amended version of the bill.

In addition to creating a separate marriage class in the state, the bill also protects local officials from legal action. The bill states the attorney general would have to defend local officials and political subdivisions of the state against actions targeting them for their decision to issue or deny a marriage license.

Earlier this month, a federal judge ruled former Kentucky clerk Kim Davis, who had denied marriage licenses to same-sex couples in 2015, violated the constitutional rights of same-sex couples by denying the licenses.

There does need to be an age limit, but also a framework where under certain conditions a judge could grant permission for a couple under-aged to be married. I don't think it's uncommon anymore for girls in high school to get pregnant. It happens. Kids are having sex.

If a 15-yo girl gets pregnant with her 16-yo boyfriend in 10th grade and decide together to keep the baby, why should they be prevented from marrying?

I mean, you guys want to teach kindergartners about gay sex, but you don't want a mom and dad to be married if they want?

I mean, you guys want to teach kindergartners about gay sex, but you don't want a mom and dad to be married if they want?
Straw man fallacy. Assumes facts not in evidence.

"But your Honor, . . . . just because my wife and I have been together since she was 9 years old, doesn't mean I'm a pedophile. She chose to live locked in my basement for the last 10 years . . . and both of our home schooled daughters love it there, too! Just ask them!!"
-
the defendant Billy Bob

Gotta be 21 to have a beer, 18 to vote, 16-17 to drive, but marriage at 13 is okay. How twisted a human being do you have to be to sponser this bill?

Xenu wept.

Only to be expected. Tennessee is one of the few states where it's legal to marry your first cousin too.

If a 15-yo girl gets pregnant with her 16-yo boyfriend in 10th grade and decide together to keep the baby, why should they be prevented from marrying?
As long as the law is worded in such a way that a 30 year old can't marry a 15 year old.

See, this is where the left gets all wonky and confusing.

Marriage as a teenager = bad.
Hormone blockers or surgery for transgender as a teenager = good.

Pick a lane and stick with it, will you?

I don't think it is too wonky. Most states have laws for medical autonomy. Those laws vary but are usually between 14-17.

So when states make laws specifically saying minors can't have hormone blockers or surgery, they are making a special exception to existing laws that specifically target trans medical procedures. Regardless, trans people under 16 rarely get approved for surgery for fairly obvious reasons. Instead hormone blockers are usually prescribed because they are reversible until they are older.

When it comes to marriage, I think what most people object to is many teenage marriage laws are written in such a way that they allow minors to consent with adults. Some states effectively have no age of consent as long as the parents approve the marriage, which there are documented cases of some nutjob Christian fundamentalists doing. I think two 16 year olds marrying is stupid but nothing to get too worked up about. But I think a 16 year old marrying a 25 year old should not be possible under the law.

Xenu wept.

Geezus.

Something the bill sponsor acknowledged during a Children and Family Affairs subcommittee. “There is not an explicit age limit,” Leatherwood said.

I wonder if the Duggars slithered over from Arkansas to join in the fun.

here's the republican who is sponsoring the bill...

Tom Leatherwood - Wikipedia

When they're all obviously amoral and involved in it, of course they are seeking protection. The GQP: Bad for America.

There does need to be an age limit, but also a framework where under certain conditions a judge could grant permission for a couple under-aged to be married. I don't think it's uncommon anymore for girls in high school to get pregnant. It happens. Kids are having sex.

They're children, that's why.

I don't think it is too wonky. Most states have laws for medical autonomy. Those laws vary but are usually between 14-17.

So when states make laws specifically saying minors can't have hormone blockers or surgery, they are making a special exception to existing laws that specifically target trans medical procedures. Regardless, trans people under 16 rarely get approved for surgery for fairly obvious reasons. Instead hormone blockers are usually prescribed because they are reversible until they are older.

When it comes to marriage, I think what most people object to is many teenage marriage laws are written in such a way that they allow minors to consent with adults. Some states effectively have no age of consent as long as the parents approve the marriage, which there are documented cases of some nutjob Christian fundamentalists doing. I think two 16 year olds marrying is stupid but nothing to get too worked up about. But I think a 16 year old marrying a 25 year old should not be possible under the law.

I personally think that all of these type of decisions should be made WELL after the age of 18. I've seen very few marriages with 18-year-olds actually LAST because very few people are mature enough at 18 (let alone younger) to make the marriage work. I want to say 2 of the marriages of "high school sweethearts" that I knew lasted more than 5 years.

I think anything more than a 5 year age difference should be prosecuted under statutory rape laws, personally...potentially even less than that 5-year mark.

Teenage brains are literally not fully developed. Studies have shown that a brain isn't typically fully mature until age 25. I respect 18 as the legal age of adulthood...but still strongly feel that these are kids making 'adult' decisions that they can't fully comprehend and appreciate the significance (and potential ramifications) of.

Holy cow another factually wrong, dishonest and retarded strawman post LMAO

Xenu wept.

if the bill is truly that lose about requirements it certainly needs fixed
there could be accepted to the 18 rule but they have to be spelled out or approved by sometime pf proceeding not just wide open

teen 17 is pregnant to another TEEN 19 and wants to get married? fine within the rules and review
teen 17 wants to get married because her boyfriend teen 17 who is going to die, fine again within the rules and review

but it cant just be wide open, IF that that case

Holy cow another factually wrong, dishonest and retarded strawman post LMAO
Has it ever occurred to you that the use of the word "retarded" is unacceptable in 2022 and reflects poorly on you?

The word "retarded" was literally banned in 2010 with Rosa's law.

And yet, here you are, day after day...using it...while also walking around and pretending to be someone that is enlightened.

Has it ever occurred to you that the use of the word "retarded" is unacceptable in 2022 and reflects poorly on you?

The word "retarded" was literally banned in 2010 with Rosa's law.

And yet, here you are, day after day...using it...while also walking around and pretending to be someone that is enlightened.
So much for "wokeness"...

This is so right wing loser incels can get a date. When most women get to legal age they don't want nothing to do with those idiots.

This is so right wing loser incels can get a date. When most women get to legal age they don't want nothing to do with those idiots.
then they will just trans.

That framework already exists....its called parental consent. If the kids in your example can convince thier parents to sign off on it, they would be allowed to get married legally. No judge necessary.

There could be no reasons.....there could be a thousand. Again, the problem with the bill as written is the missing age requirements and written limitation to what would otherwise we called statutory rape. Also, once again, there is nothing currently preventing those kids from convincing thier parents to sign off and allow them to get married.

Holy crap.....you accomplished a lot in so few words, none of it good. You managed to conflate two things that have nothing to do with one another, assume people hold a position that most certainly do not and topped it off with poorly placed sarcasm (at least I hope thats what it was) all in less than 25 words.

Kudos to you.

Back
Top Bottom