• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

˜The mystery is over": Researchers say they know what happened to "Lost Colony"

nota bene

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
BUXTON, N.C. — The English colonists who settled the so-called Lost Colony before disappearing from history simply went to live with their native friends — the Croatoans of Hatteras, according to a new book.

...The evidence shows the colony left Roanoke Island with the friendly Croatoans to settle on Hatteras Island. They thrived, ate well, had mixed families and endured for generations. More than a century later, explorer John Lawson found natives with blue eyes who recounted they had ancestors who could “speak out of a book,” Lawson wrote. Lost Colony of Roanoke: Researchers say the 'mystery is over' - The Virginian-Pilot

I've been interested since childhood in what happened to Virginia Dare and the "Lost Colony" and wonder if this argument settles the mystery once and for all.

Re: ˜The mystery is over": Researchers say they know what happened to "Lost Colony"

There have been many "We found them!!" moments for the Roanoke Colony that were followed by , "oops, nevermind". There was one refuted not too long ago based on artifacts proving what happened to them. I personally have always assumed they died in a hurricane.

Re: ˜The mystery is over": Researchers say they know what happened to "Lost Colony"

There have been many "We found them!!" moments for the Roanoke Colony that were followed by , "oops, nevermind". There was one refuted not too long ago based on artifacts proving what happened to them. I personally have always assumed they died in a hurricane.

Did you read the linked article? If so, what do you think about the layers of artifacts, thousands and thousands of them, that indicate a shared life between the Croatoans and the English and Croatoans with blue eyes?

Did you read the linked article? If so, what do you think about the layers of artifacts, thousands and thousands of them, that indicate a shared life between the Croatoans and the English and Croatoans with blue eyes?

No I cannot access your article because of the garden wall around adblockers that site has but I did google free range articles about the new book. These artifacts have been found before in various places. Even if the real deal, they would not rule out the possibility the native americans acquired them by salvaging them after the colonists were dead.

No I cannot access your article because of the garden wall around adblockers that site has but I did google free range articles about the new book. These artifacts have been found before in various places. Even if the real deal, they would not rule out the possibility the native americans acquired them by salvaging them after the colonists were dead.

I don't really understand why you can't access the article I linked; it's not behind a paywall.

From another source: “We not only found evidence of mixed architecture of houses but also metallurgy, where they had blacksmith shops and were also working in copper and lead, and this continued right on into the 1600s,” Dawson said. “It’s hard to say how many, but a few dozen at least lived for a few decades down there in the villages and continued to work in metals.”

Dawson said many of the gun parts they discovered were a mix and match of pieces from other guns since the settlers couldn’t get any new parts. “You can see where the glass objects had been chipped in arrowheads, the copper earrings and wires had been altered into fishhooks. So, all the stuff that they brought over, it got repurposed into something more useful for living on the island.” The Outer Banks Voice - The Lost Colony wasn’t really lost

And another: "A team of archaeologists, historians, botanists, geologists and others have conducted digs on small plots in Buxton and Frisco for 11 years. ...Teams have found thousands of artifacts 4-6 feet below the surface that show a mix of English and Indian life. Parts of swords and guns are in the same layer of soil as Indian pottery and arrowheads." Access Denied

I don't really understand why you can't access the article I linked; it's not behind a paywall.

From another source: “We not only found evidence of mixed architecture of houses but also metallurgy, where they had blacksmith shops and were also working in copper and lead, and this continued right on into the 1600s,” Dawson said. “It’s hard to say how many, but a few dozen at least lived for a few decades down there in the villages and continued to work in metals.”

Dawson said many of the gun parts they discovered were a mix and match of pieces from other guns since the settlers couldn’t get any new parts. “You can see where the glass objects had been chipped in arrowheads, the copper earrings and wires had been altered into fishhooks. So, all the stuff that they brought over, it got repurposed into something more useful for living on the island.” The Outer Banks Voice - The Lost Colony wasn’t really lost

And another: "A team of archaeologists, historians, botanists, geologists and others have conducted digs on small plots in Buxton and Frisco for 11 years. ...Teams have found thousands of artifacts 4-6 feet below the surface that show a mix of English and Indian life. Parts of swords and guns are in the same layer of soil as Indian pottery and arrowheads." Access Denied

VAPIlot.jpg

NewsObserver.jpg

Oh this is how. The article I could read just said it was evidence of a theory. Not mystery solved.

Back
Top Bottom