• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ásatrú, the old Norse Paganism is the fastest growing and largest non-Christian religion in Iceland

PoS

Minister of Love
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
https://icelandmag.is/article/asatr...ng-and-largest-non-christian-religion-iceland

The religious practices and convictions of Icelanders have been undergoing rapid changes in the past years. The most recent data from Registers Iceland shows that Icelanders continue to turn their backs on the National Church of Iceland. At the turn of the century 89% of Icelanders were members of the National Church. This figure has dropped down to 65.6%.
Read more: Icelanders abandon National State Church, as old pagan Ásatrú continues to grow
At the same time the old Nose paganism Ásatrú is doing well. According to the latest figures from Registers Iceland 4,375 people belonged to the two separate pagan congregations, the small Reykjavíkurgoðorð (26 people) and the much larger Ásatrúarfélagið (4,349). Currently 1.2% of the population belongs to the pagan congregations. This makes the old pagan religion of the Vikings not only the fastest growing religion in Iceland, but also the largest non-Christian religion.

This is great, I think its a sign that the Abrahamic religions are not the universal problem solvers as they claim to be when it comes to spirituality. The inherent weakness of a monotheistic religion is all too apparent, and it seems that the old pagans were much smarter than we give them credit for. :mrgreen:

...This is great, I think its a sign that the Abrahamic religions are not the universal problem solvers as they claim to be when it comes to spirituality. The inherent weakness of a monotheistic religion is all too apparent, and it seems that the old pagans were much smarter than we give them credit for. :mrgreen:
Uh-huh. You've got 26 people in Reykjavíkurgoðorð and 4,349 more in Ásatrúarfélagið making your case for you. You've certainly put the 5 billion on notice!
Silly-Billy Bully-Fully Shilly-Shally Mustang Sally

Uh-huh. You've got 26 people in Reykjavíkurgoðorð and 4,349 more in Ásatrúarfélagið making your case for you. You've certainly put the 5 billion on notice!

Since this religion was pretty much extinct for over 1000 years yet its now coming back says a lot. Mainstream christianity is on the decline worldwide because it makes no sense, and anyone with a basic education is turning away from it.

So keep singing a lamentation for the eventual doom of your religion. Its happening as we speak. :2razz:

Since this religion was pretty much extinct for over 1000 years yet its now coming back says a lot. Mainstream christianity is on the decline worldwide because it makes no sense, and anyone with a basic education is turning away from it.

So keep singing a lamentation for the eventual doom of your religion. Its happening as we speak. :2razz:
Yeah, it "says a lot." It says that the religious impulse is inextinguishable. Atheist hopes for worldwide cluelessness are doomed.

https://icelandmag.is/article/asatr...ng-and-largest-non-christian-religion-iceland

This is great, I think its a sign that the Abrahamic religions are not the universal problem solvers as they claim to be when it comes to spirituality. The inherent weakness of a monotheistic religion is all too apparent, and it seems that the old pagans were much smarter than we give them credit for. :mrgreen:

From the article:

Ásatrú is a religion that guides people through the different stages of life and stresses harmony and acceptance of the things which cannot be changed, the courage to grow and change those things in one's life which can and should be changed, while celebrating the wisdom needed to navigate life's turbulent waters.

Sounds nice, like most religions.

So I'm sure there's a catch somewhere.
Somebody, a fallible human in a leadership role, decides what can/should be changed, and what can't/shouldn't be changed.

I think it just shows how people are getting disillusioned/disappointed with Christendom and how it falls short of feeding their spiritual needs or answering their questions on life and death and the purpose of it all so they are looking elsewhere...I also think they will still be left disillusioned/disappointed though...

As long as "the other guy" is the human sacrifice. At least Christianity is predictable.

Like pressure cookers and crock pots, can pyramids be far behind? The young always discover the new things over and over.

Yeah, it "says a lot." It says that the religious impulse is inextinguishable. Atheist hopes for worldwide cluelessness are doomed.

Atheism is growing, even Judaism and Islam, but Christianity is declining. Too bad. :2razz:

Atheism is growing, even Judaism and Islam, but Christianity is declining. Too bad. :2razz:
Are you sticking out your tongue with this post? What you cannot seem to grasp or accept is the fact that the religious impulse will out in the end and parodic atheism like yours will remain a small island of stunted imaginations.

Are you sticking out your tongue with this post? What you cannot seem to grasp or accept is the fact that the religious impulse will out in the end and parodic atheism like yours will remain a small island of stunted imaginations.

"will out in the end"

Youve gone from whining to pure incoherence, which was predictable since you do that on every thread.

:lamo I don't know why they hate you so much, Angel, you crack me up.

"will out in the end"

Youve gone from whining to pure incoherence, which was predictable since you do that on every thread.

Honestly, he didn't need to respond to you past #2. If he's guilty of anything, it's enjoying putting you on tilt too much. More fun to watch than the Simpsons.

Somebody, a fallible human in a leadership role, decides what can/should be changed, and what can't/shouldn't be changed.
Well from what they say, there is no prescribed dogma or scripture. You are encouraged (not required) to read the Prose Edda and attend a few rituals, but thats it. Pretty easygoing religion, imo.

From the article:

Sounds like the prayer from Alcoholics Anonymous.

Once you travel extensively, pay attention to all other cultures, like myself, Dr. David Stanley, Sir Richard Burton, and Rudyard Kipling, you come to realize faith....any faith, is strong in us humans.
Therefore you strive to have a personal walk in faith with God, Allah, the Barracka, the Universe, or whatever name you choose to call the guider and molder of your destiny, and healer of your spirit.
Once you do, the world itself opens up to you and you are a better spiritual being for it.

You will also realize cussing someone's faith is a futile gesture on your part.
You are not going to convince anyone with text on an internet thread, to give up the faith that sustains them in bad times, and rejoices with them in good times.

Praise God, Praise Allah, and may the Barracka be with you.

or, in keeping with the thread's subject.....May the might and power of Thor's hammer protect you, and the wisdom of Odin guide your path.

Last edited:
From the article:

That's when things pretty much go to hell in a hand basket, don't they.
I doubt any belief where my diet comes into question.
...or they tell me I can't have sex.
...or they say i have to shave my head.
...or they want me to chant silly things repeatedly until I get goofy.

but I DO like the funny hat rule. You can't be a major religion until you have a funny hat. That seems to be a universal rule.

Last edited:
Honestly, he didn't need to respond to you past #2. If he's guilty of anything, it's enjoying putting you on tilt too much. More fun to watch than the Simpsons.

What it proves is that none of you trinitarians can debate, and all you can do is respond with gibberish. Well done.

Well from what they say, there is no prescribed dogma or scripture. You are encouraged (not required) to read the Prose Edda and attend a few rituals, but thats it. Pretty easygoing religion, imo.

I fully admit I know absolutely nothing about it other than what I read from your link.

I tend to truly like the Taoist philosophies myself. From what you say this sounds rather similar in some areas.

I don't know why they hate you so much, Angel, you crack me up.

He's an insufferable pompous windbag of useless nonsense.
He brings absolutely nothing but unfounded accusations and poorly disguised insults to any thread or comment he doesn't create himself.
His posts are mostly word-masturbation for his own misguided and twisted thought processes.

He's bitter and very self-obsessed. Don't be fooled by the flowery, over-worded posts that litter the forum.
He's far worse than the "new atheists" he claims to hate so much.

His posts are the most obnoxiously insulting in this area of DP.

That's why.

He's an insufferable pompous windbag of useless nonsense.
He brings absolutely nothing but unfounded accusations and poorly disguised insults to any thread or comment he doesn't create himself.
His posts are mostly word-masturbation for his own misguided and twisted thought processes.

He's bitter and very self-obsessed. Don't be fooled by the flowery, over-worded posts that litter the forum.
He's far worse than the "new atheists" he claims to hate so much.

His posts are the most obnoxiously insulting in this area of DP.

That's why.

Err...that might be pushing the limits of the TOS, there Dragonfly....hopefully the points are worth it, you sure didn't try to veil that slew of insults...hehe... But dang, he's sure in the head of our resident atheists. Given that debate and conflict is what we're opting to do on our spare time, seems like you should be thanking him - he's like a rollercoaster ride at a theme park for you guys... ;) hehe

You guys have all formed an anti-fan club around him, but if I had to guess, I'd say you care about it way more than he does. If nothing else, I give him props for giving you guys a taste of how you make Christians feel, when you constantly **** over our beliefs. Maybe if you understand that how you feel about him is how we feel about you, for exactly the same reasons, we could bring up the civility in here. People take things way too seriously in this sub forum... ;) :lol:

What it proves is that none of you trinitarians can debate, and all you can do is respond with gibberish. Well done.

lol...what's there to debate? You try to throw 4,375 pagans up as proof that "its a sign that the Abrahamic religions are not the universal problem solvers as they claim to be when it comes to spirituality", and a couple billion Christians are like "Cool story, bro". There are 535 million Buddhists in the world. There are 1.08 billion Hindus in the world. On what grounds would Abrahamic religions ever suggest they are "universal problem solvers", or whatever nonsense you're accusing us of?

Garbage in, garbage out, bud. Sorry your burn sucked.

Thing is, I'm happy for these people. They found something that makes sense to them, hopefully they have happiness in their life as a result. If you'd have left it there, I'd have thrown you a like... But in your obsession to spread your hate towards Christianity, you turned it into a pathetic gotcha moment that looks ridiculous to anyone without an axe to grind. But hey, keep doing you, bud, you're doing great. ;) :lol:

Last edited:
Err...that might be pushing the limits of the TOS, there Dragonfly....hopefully the points are worth it, you sure didn't try to veil that slew of insults...hehe... But dang, he's sure in the head of our resident atheists. Given that debate and conflict is what we're opting to do on our spare time, seems like you should be thanking him - he's like a rollercoaster ride at a theme park for you guys... ;) hehe

You guys have all formed an anti-fan club around him, but if I had to guess, I'd say you care about it way more than he does. If nothing else, I give him props for giving you guys a taste of how you make Christians feel, when you constantly **** over our beliefs. Maybe if you understand that how you feel about him is how we feel about you, for exactly the same reasons, we could bring up the civility in here. People take things way too seriously in this sub forum... ;) :lol:

You indirectly asked an honest question. I very directly answered. If points come so be it. I'm at zero.

As for who is living in whose head, I can state at the very least I'm in his head.

I have him on ignore. I don't read his insanity. I don't respond to his posts. I don't post in his threads. His drivel is not worth the 1's and 0's of the internet.
In direct contrast he can't control himself when it comes to responding to me. He appears to be almost orgasmic over the chance to post in direct response to me even though he knows that I will have nothing to do with him at all.

Keep in mind I do NOT have Logicman, Elvira, or Tosca on ignore. So it's nothing to do with opposing viewpoints.

It's everything to do with complete and totally worthless posts of absolute nonsense.
If he's trying to "prove a point" he's failing. Miserably.

What he's succeeding in doing is making the believers appear to be far more insanely distasteful than they actually are.
He's the jaydubya meets ontologuy of this section of the forum.

But you know, pick sides if you must. Just be careful who you side with. It might be contagious.

Happy Saturday. :cheers:

You indirectly asked an honest question. I very directly answered. If points come so be it. I'm at zero.

As for who is living in whose head, I can state at the very least I'm in his head.

I have him on ignore. I don't read his insanity. I don't respond to his posts. I don't post in his threads. His drivel is not worth the 1's and 0's of the internet.
In direct contrast he can't control himself when it comes to responding to me. He appears to be almost orgasmic over the chance to post in direct response to me even though he knows that I will have nothing to do with him at all.

Keep in mind I do NOT have Logicman, Elvira, or Tosca on ignore. So it's nothing to do with opposing viewpoints.

It's everything to do with complete and totally worthless posts of absolute nonsense.
If he's trying to "prove a point" he's failing. Miserably.

What he's succeeding in doing is making the believers appear to be far more insanely distasteful than they actually are.
He's the jaydubya meets ontologuy of this section of the forum.

But you know, pick sides if you must. Just be careful who you side with. It might be contagious.

Happy Saturday. :cheers:

haha...I always pick a side...my own! I'm just calling it as I see it. Look at how much time you've spent discussing him, rather than the topic. And I've long outgrown my impressionable stage...if I'm going to be an asshole, I'll own every part of that... ;)

I would also suggest that he isn't making believers look like anything - folks that would generalize based off of one person they meet didn't have an open mind to begin with.

I wonder what would happen if you, as an atheist with questions about his faith, would approach the subject minus the ridicule and derision, and with an honest dedication to keeping things respectful (and, yes, that includes demanding respect in return). My guess is that you would have an entirely different conversation than has become the norm in this sub forum. I wonder if you would accept the challenge. I suspect you would walk away from the conversation having had a different experience.

Happy Saturday to you, too, Dragonfly. I'd clink beers with you too, but the good stuff is up here...hehe... Standing invitation to anyone that would like to have one with me around my fire pit, once more agreeable weather hits, including all angry atheists who think I'm an idiot for believing in God. Were you to come up here now, it would be whiskey by the woodstove.

lol...what's there to debate? You try to throw 4,375 pagans up as proof that "its a sign that the Abrahamic religions are not the universal problem solvers as they claim to be when it comes to spirituality", and a couple billion Christians are like "Cool story, bro". There are 535 million Buddhists in the world. There are 1.08 billion Hindus in the world. On what grounds would Abrahamic religions ever suggest they are "universal problem solvers", or whatever nonsense you're accusing us of?

Garbage in, garbage out, bud. Sorry your burn sucked.

Thing is, I'm happy for these people. They found something that makes sense to them, hopefully they have happiness in their life as a result. If you'd have left it there, I'd have thrown you a like... But in your obsession to spread your hate towards Christianity, you turned it into a pathetic gotcha moment that looks ridiculous to anyone without an axe to grind. But hey, keep doing you, bud, you're doing great. ;) :lol:

No accusations. Just pure facts that you cant refute. Mainstream christianity is declining, while other religions are still increasing. You can spew all the nonsense you like but in the end you're just fantasizing, as you always do.

Keep it up as well, because you and him are prime examples of what is wrong with trinitarians.

No accusations. Just pure facts that you cant refute. Mainstream christianity is declining, while other religions are still increasing. You can spew all the nonsense you like but in the end you're just fantasizing, as you always do.

Keep it up as well, because you and him are prime examples of what is wrong with trinitarians.

You did nothing to refute my post, and everything to confirm it. You can't be taken seriously in this sub forum, because everything you write is tainted with your prejudice and hatred towards Christians. I hope you make peace with that some day. Hatred is an awful thing to carry with you all your life.

And for the record, no one is trying to refute the fact that there are 4,375 pagans wherever you're saying they are. It's just that it doesn't matter, beyond hoping that they are happy in their choices and find meaning in them. Holler back when it's 2 billion pagans and 4,375 Christians. Until then it's just your wishful thinking. :)

Back
Top Bottom