• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:1581] US hiring sharply misses expectations in April with just 266,000 new jobs added

Only an uneducated dolt would post that. There are over 840,000 KM of pipeline in Canada. The Canadians have no problem with pipelines.

What Canadians don't want is another Lac-Megantic disaster.

well maybe they didn't but read this

Public concerns over dangerous pipeline leaks are far from ungrounded, as more than 1,650 individual leaks have occurred in the U.S. since 2010, spilling more than 11.5 million gallons of oil. There is also growing mistrust toward the corporations responsible for cleaning up these spills. In July of 2010, a pipeline operated by Enbridge Energy (Line 6B) began to leak over one million gallons of crude oil into the Kalamazoo River and surrounding land. Originally, Enbridge estimated that the spill was around 819,000 gallons but was later forced to significantly increase that estimate. The spill occurred because of a large crack in the pipeline and alleged communication failures within and between Enbridge Energy management teams. Because of the severity of the spill, cleanup took approximately five years, but the pipeline has since been returned to service.

During the Dakota Access pipeline (DAPL) protests in early December of 2016, a leak in True Cos’s Belle Fourche pipeline released over 176,000 gallons of oil into a North Dakota creek

Have a nice night

Only an uneducated dolt would post that. There are over 840,000 KM of pipeline in Canada. The Canadians have no problem with pipelines.

What Canadians don't want is another Lac-Megantic disaster.

In 2016, the United States averaged one oil spill every other day.
lets see over 1600 leaks from 2010 and one leak EVERY OTHER DAY in the US
seems real safe to me NOT!!!!
have a nice night

Given the choice, a real conservative would. They wouldn’t vote for a Putin lackey like Trump.
I realize how harsh I was on my previous post when I should have answered more responsibly like what the hell are you talking about regarding Trump and Putin in an economic thread regarding job creation? Let me see if I have this right, Trump has been out of office for over 4 months and still is the issue with you? Why can't you spend more time telling us about all the good things Biden has done and how a guy who lost two previous Presidential runs, hid in his basement and garnered more votes than any other President in history? I know that job creation isn't an issue for you, the border isn't an interest for you, economic growth and activity aren't an interest to you so please tell me what is of interest to you other than bashing Trump?

I realize how harsh I was on my previous post when I should have answered more responsibly like what the hell are you talking about regarding Trump and Putin in an economic thread regarding job creation? Let me see if I have this right, Trump has been out of office for over 4 months and still is the issue with you? Why can't you spend more time telling us about all the good things Biden has done and how a guy who lost two previous Presidential runs, hid in his basement and garnered more votes than any other President in history? I know that job creation isn't an issue for you, the border isn't an interest for you, economic growth and activity aren't an interest to you so please tell me what is of interest to you other than bashing Trump?
Trump has been out of office for four months and it's still an issue with HIM. He just can't accept it and neither can his cult.

As for Biden, he's been in office about 135 days and has got the passage of a $1.9 trillion American Rescue Plan, that dampened the pain from shutting down the economy and provided extra funds to fight the virus.

Plus, Biden ramped-up coronavirus vaccine distribution and beat his own goal of 100 million Americans in 100 days.

Biden signed an executive action on his first day in office that brought the United States back into the Paris Climate Agreement, the agreement that aims to arrest climate change by reducing carbon emissions.

Biden has moved to improve relations with U.S. allies that had been strained during the presidency of Donald Trump. He’s also placed new sanctions on Russia, taking a harder line than his predecessor.

Equally as important, he made the presidency normal again. We can wake up in the morning without worrying about a new scandal or a crazy presidential tweet issued while sitting on the toilet.

This is why Biden has a 63% approval rating.

Trump has been out of office for four months and it's still an issue with HIM. He just can't accept it and neither can his cult.

As for Biden, he's been in office about 135 days and has got the passage of a $1.9 trillion American Rescue Plan, that dampened the pain from shutting down the economy and provided extra funds to fight the virus.

Plus, Biden ramped-up coronavirus vaccine distribution and beat his own goal of 100 million Americans in 100 days.

Biden signed an executive action on his first day in office that brought the United States back into the Paris Climate Agreement, the agreement that aims to arrest climate change by reducing carbon emissions.

Biden has moved to improve relations with U.S. allies that had been strained during the presidency of Donald Trump. He’s also placed new sanctions on Russia, taking a harder line than his predecessor.

Equally as important, he made the presidency normal again. We can wake up in the morning without worrying about a new scandal or a crazy presidential tweet issued while sitting on the toilet.

This is why Biden has a 63% approval rating.
Yes his cult(me) focuses on economic and foreign policy results which is the role of the President of the United States. Your party made state and local issues the problem for the President and still you cannot explain why Blue states have such high taxes and poor economic and social results. You have yet to post any of the great things Biden has done to deserve the poll numbers you claim as none of what you posted resonates with actual voters or impacts them at all

It is quite telling that spending money is what you tout, money paid for by people who actually pay the taxes and giving it to those who don't. Can you explain to us all why raising taxes, FIC and CIT are so important when there is enough revenue from those taxes to fund the items they were created to fund?

Can you explain why with states reopening that we need a 1.9 trillion dollar rescue plan?

Ramped up Covid 19 vaccine distribution? The vaccine was approved in mid December, I got my first shot on January 6 so Biden did nothing but give lip service and you always give lip service to perceived successes

Paris Climate Agreement does what for the American people?

Relations with the U.S. Allies? you mean becoming the world's policemen again and allowing allies to spend more on social programs and less on their defense?

You keep spouting opinions based upon indoctrinated propaganda but have yet to offer anything that Biden has done to benefit you and your family.

As for the 63% approval rating?

Minimum wage jobs are what they are due to the VALUE that that worker brings to the business.

Then people should stop crying that they can't fill minimum wage jobs.

Small businesses cannot sustain these wage increases or they will lose employees or have to give them pink slips.

Then I guess their business model is crap.

You should write for comedy central. You really have a vivid imagination. Good thing for you they don't fact check your posts.
I found this today

Will the pipeline create jobs?​

The oil industry has lobbied hard to get KXL built by using false claims, political arm-twisting, and big bucks. When TC Energy said the pipeline would create nearly 119,000 jobs, a State Department report instead concluded the project would require fewer than 2,000 two-year construction jobs and that the number of jobs would hover around 35 after construction.
the State Dept.says it would employ about 2000 workers for 2 years and 35 after completion NOT anything like the 119,000 jobs
Have a nice day

Last edited:
Then people should stop crying that they can't fill minimum wage jobs.

Then I guess their business model is crap.
Restaurants have had the same business model forever. What would you do to change it since you think it's crap? It's basic business profit/loss like mostly all businesses. If you want to see restaurant workers get paid alot more money then the only way that happens is you pay alot more to go out to eat. Its that simple. It's not a "crappy business model" it's just business 101. SOME restaurants CAN pay their workers alot more but only if they have an extremely popular product and they have a huge amount of sales to offset their labor cost, or if it's an extremely popular expensive restaurant. Most are not that......

Restaurants have had the same business model forever. What would you do to change it since you think it's crap? It's basic business profit/loss like mostly all businesses. If you want to see restaurant workers get paid alot more money then the only way that happens is you pay alot more to go out to eat. Its that simple. It's not a "crappy business model" it's just business 101. SOME restaurants CAN pay their workers alot more but only if they have an extremely popular product and they have a huge amount of sales to offset their labor cost, or if it's an extremely popular expensive restaurant. Most are not that......
That business model is going to change now because the lessons learned from covid dictates that it has to change. There will be other challenges to face after this one at some point down the road. The 'norm' that we are going back to isn't going to be the same norm as before. It's going to be a new type of norm. And those same lessons learned from this pandemic are causing people to reassess and make different life choices, They aren't going to be so willing to put their own lives and safety of themselves and their families to be an "essential worker" at a place that pays only minimum wage or less. If they were deemed as being "essential" during the pandemic then by definition they still should be. If they are 'essential' than pay them as if are indeed essential.

I found this today

Will the pipeline create jobs?​

The oil industry has lobbied hard to get KXL built by using false claims, political arm-twisting, and big bucks. When TC Energy said the pipeline would create nearly 119,000 jobs, a State Department report instead concluded the project would require fewer than 2,000 two-year construction jobs and that the number of jobs would hover around 35 after construction.
the State Dept.says it would employ about 2000 workers for 2 years and 35 after completion NOT anything like the 119,000 jobs
Have a nice day
I guess you are not bright enough to understand that someone is making that pipe that goes into that pipeline or the equipment that is digging those trenches or transporting all that material.

Didn't realize that Biden was in office when I got my first shot on January 6 but as usual the liberal in you comes out. It is the governors that distributed the vaccines not Biden and it is the state, local and individual responsibility to manage the pandemic. How liberal of you to credit Biden and blame Trump
And that is exactly where Trump got it all so wrong and where Biden got it right. The states didn't have the funds due to shrinking budgets and staff while still facing record surges in new cases and hospitalizations. Under Trump's plan getting enough Americans vaccinated to blunt and arrest the spread of the virus would've taken forever. Biden's American Rescue plan addressed those issues head on.

"January 8

American Hospital Association Pushes for Faster Vaccine Rollout

The American Heart Association (AHA) sends a letter to HHS Secretary Alex Azar stressing that there should have been a universal COVID-19 vaccine rollout. The letter highlights 64 disparate plans being implemented, lack of standardized tasks needed to accomplish delivery, and a failure to provide progress reports compared with plan goals. According to the AHA, to achieve herd immunity 1.8 million individuals need to be vaccinated every day from January 15 through May 31.

Biden Plans to Rapidly Release Most COVID-19 Doses

Then–President-Elect Joe Biden announces he will quickly release most available vaccine doses to inoculate more people, reversing Trump’s previous policies, according to the Associated Press. Biden’s plan does not involve cutting 2-dose vaccines in half but accelerating shipments of first doses instead of holding second doses in reserve.

States Face Significant Rollout Hurdles

States and local health departments struggle to implement mass vaccination programs while facing a surge in COVID-19 cases and record-breaking hospitalizations, TIME reports. Staff shortages and shrinking budgets complicate efforts to receive, store, distribute, track, and administer vaccines, as well as monitor individuals for adverse events.

January 11

Vaccine Doses Go Unused or Are Trashed

Biden’s goal remains 100 million vaccinations in 100 days, and he pledges to release all available doses, reversing Trump’s decision to hold back doses to ensure that second shots were available for those who had already received their first Pfizer/BioNTech or Moderna dose—at this point, the only approved COVID-19 vaccines. Rollout has been chaotic, as the CDC relegated responsibility to states to determine vaccination priority and extra doses built up in freezers or were trashed due to regulation confusion."

I guess you are not bright enough to understand that someone is making that pipe that goes into that pipeline or the equipment that is digging those trenches or transporting all that material.
Guess you aren't bright enough to understand that those jobs are only temporary. Once completed it would only employ 50 to 60 individuals nationwide.

That business model is going to change now because the lessons learned from covid dictates that it has to change. There will be other challenges to face after this one at some point down the road. The 'norm' that we are going back to isn't going to be the same norm as before. It's going to be a new type of norm. And those same lessons learned from this pandemic are causing people to reassess and make different life choices, They aren't going to be so willing to put their own lives and safety of themselves and their families to be an "essential worker" at a place that pays only minimum wage or less. If they were deemed as being "essential" during the pandemic then by definition they still should be. If they are 'essential' than pay them as if are indeed essential.
I kind of agree. I wish my company had shut down our restaurants when things got bad but they didnt. I had to keep working. Even taking every precaution, because of my exposure to the general public and lots of fellow employees I got Covid just before Thanksgiving. I STILL can't taste or smell.

Friday BLS will announce May's Jobs numbers, anyone want to bet that those numbers are going to be touted as a Biden Success when the reality is reopening states is creating returning jobs not new job creation or any Biden policies. The only policies Biden has implemented that has affected jobs is shutting down the Keystone Pipeline.

Going to continue to remind liberals that a returning job isn't a new taxpayer thus not a new job created. There will be job growth but not new job creation until 159 million Americans are employed which is what Trump had in February 2020
No matter how you try to spin it, those are jobs lost under Trump that are very much welcomed back! (y)

Guess you aren't bright enough to understand that those jobs are only temporary. Once completed it would only employ 50 to 60 individuals nationwide.
I guess you aren't bright enough to understand all construction jobs are temporary. A two year job is a pretty good gig for those guys.

But, but, but, but wait. Biden promised them all jobs making solar panels. Let me ask you brain child, which is better a temporary job or a phantom job?

Minimum wage jobs are what they are due to the VALUE that that worker brings to the business. Everyone is crying for a $15 or higher minimum wage. Small businesses cannot sustain these wage increases or they will lose employees or have to give them pink slips. Let me give you an example. The restaurant business is known for extremely low profit margins and its really hard to make any money as a restaurant owner unless you are able to catch lightning in a bottle such as Chik fil-A or In-n-Out or similar extremely popular chain. Most restaurants are Mom and pop operations and I have worked for many. If you start paying an entry level restaurant worker $15 or $20 an hour, then everyone else who was already there will have to be raised to even more. So the regular employees who have been there awhile will want a considerable raise above the new minimum or they will quit. And the supervisors who were making $17-20 an hour will want even more, and the G.M. of the store even more. Small businesses cannot sustain that type of wage increase for what is basically menial labor. All businesses will just raise their prices and pass the extra cost on to the customer, causing inflation, while watching their margins get even slimmer because their rent and other costs besides just labor will go up too. If you want to make more than minimum wage in this country you need to learn a real marketable skill and/or become a professional in something. Minimum wage jobs should only be for retirees looking for a part-timer, high school and college students, or new uneducated immigrants assimilating into our economy.
While I still prefer to see a higher minimum wage, and I'm willing to pay for it as a consumer, I must admit yours is a very good post - I think.

The bolded demonstrates what a pitiful failure of candidate Trump was. Biden ran a disciplined masterful campaign, that resulted in success. Ditto for his beating-back Covid. Biden is turning-out to be more highly skilled than we realized. Well worth my vote. He exceeded my expectations.

I guess you aren't bright enough to understand all construction jobs are temporary. A two year job is a pretty good gig for those guys.

But, but, but, but wait. Biden promised them all jobs making solar panels. Let me ask you brain child, which is better a temporary job or a phantom job?
Biden has an infrastructure plan that would extend those jobs many more years and employ many, many more people than the pipeline and it will be an investment in America that will lead to creating even more permanent jobs as companies are able to develop and grow, with the benefits accruing from that investment from it going directly to us, the American worker and people and the benefit of it would be far more widespread. As in all across the country, rather than just to a foreign oil production company, and a relatively very few states, and corporations, while also assuming a large share of the risk should anything go wrong with it.

I kind of agree. I wish my company had shut down our restaurants when things got bad but they didnt. I had to keep working. Even taking every precaution, because of my exposure to the general public and lots of fellow employees I got Covid just before Thanksgiving. I STILL can't taste or smell.
I'm very sorry to hear that. I hope your sense of taste and smell comes back and that you stay well in every other respect. Believe me I understand what you're saying. I work in in the food business too. The consumer retail end of it where I was being exposed on a daily basis as well. It might be only by the grace of God and the precautions my wife I took each day I returned home that spared us. I truly don't feel that we were properly compensated for the level of risk we were being exposed to after being deemed essential workers while the corporation made tons of money off the panic buying and the raised prices the pandemic engendered, They seem to have forgotten all about that.

While I still prefer to see a higher minimum wage, and I'm willing to pay for it as a consumer, I must admit yours is a very good post - I think.
Except that "the customer" demonstrated a willingness and an ability to pay more, and should. The extra payment, however, was siphoned off by parasites.

As in so many other "business sectors" the U.S. flavor of "free market capitalism" is a grift, judging by the ways "the pie", i.e., the money paid by the customers who allegedly justify the "business activity," is "divvied up", and comes out the "other end".

Chomsky, the poster you replied to is typical, of "the industry".
... Most restaurants are Mom and pop operations and I have worked for many.

My perspective is the result of recently working full-time for 14 years at only two restaurants. I came back into "the industry" after 25 years working in unrelated business sectors, but my first job had been working for a start up led by three recent Harvard MBA program grads, franchisees of several names popular at the time with buy-in and start up costs modest in comparison with top tier franchises.
The partners were a "mod squad" of that time... the black partner was president, positioned to take advantage of nascent minority incentive and preference programs, the others, a jew and a wasp.

What the three lacked in capital, they more than made up for with education, intelligence, and planning. They intentionally chose their first locations in the city that then included the Culinary Institute of America, offering a steady source of motivated, talented, kitchen staff who contributed more to the businesses than they cost to employ. They also tended to refer their classmates and literally arranged their successors when they resigned in what was and is a transient employee business sector.

I worked three years for them. It was a time when restaurants typically operated without a single hispanic immigrant on staff.

Fast forward 25+ years and upon reentering the sector, this time in fine dining, I observed kitchens exclusively employing hispanic immigrant staff, and not justified by lower labor cost but by being the very best at what they do, and it is pressured, hard, hot work, satisfying clientele who literally can afford to eat anywhere, and keep them coming back.

My 1970s experience was that food cost was below 20 percent, vs nearly twice that in turn of the century fine dining. My final dozen years in the restaurant business was working only week nights in just one, "expense account" clientele restaurant owned by a highly successful, local, "Pop" initially one of two partnered chefs who began with just one fine dining location in 1980 and had expanded in just over 20 years to a dozen locations of different themes, also mostly fine dining, all within five minutes drive from each other.

My advice is to chose your employer wisely and you will avoid being the typical transient employee in a transient sector.

Influenced by the siphoning off of restaurant revenue, partly driven by pandemic, it seems Doordash, "Uber Eats" and Grubhub indicate the "customer dollar" exists and could fund living wages in many communities if those three did not exist, most customers eat on site or pick up their own food, or restaurants set up their own delivery arrangements.

The parent McDonalds Corp. market cap is $173 billion.:

51223172447_74ef7b4bfd_b.jpg

Even after it's rather steep, one day share price drop, the market cap of just one retail food delivery corp., DoorDash,
was $4 billion greater than SYSCO, international supplier to restaurants .:
"..The company serves restaurants, hospitals and nursing homes, schools and colleges, hotels and motels, industrial caterers, and other foodservice venues. As of June 27, 2020, it operated 326 distribution facilities. Sysco Corporation was founded in 1969 and is headquartered in Houston, Texas."

Last edited:
And that is exactly where Trump got it all so wrong and where Biden got it right. The states didn't have the funds due to shrinking budgets and staff while still facing record surges in new cases and hospitalizations. Under Trump's plan getting enough Americans vaccinated to blunt and arrest the spread of the virus would've taken forever. Biden's American Rescue plan addressed those issues head on.

"January 8

American Hospital Association Pushes for Faster Vaccine Rollout

The American Heart Association (AHA) sends a letter to HHS Secretary Alex Azar stressing that there should have been a universal COVID-19 vaccine rollout. The letter highlights 64 disparate plans being implemented, lack of standardized tasks needed to accomplish delivery, and a failure to provide progress reports compared with plan goals. According to the AHA, to achieve herd immunity 1.8 million individuals need to be vaccinated every day from January 15 through May 31.

Biden Plans to Rapidly Release Most COVID-19 Doses

Then–President-Elect Joe Biden announces he will quickly release most available vaccine doses to inoculate more people, reversing Trump’s previous policies, according to the Associated Press. Biden’s plan does not involve cutting 2-dose vaccines in half but accelerating shipments of first doses instead of holding second doses in reserve.

States Face Significant Rollout Hurdles

States and local health departments struggle to implement mass vaccination programs while facing a surge in COVID-19 cases and record-breaking hospitalizations, TIME reports. Staff shortages and shrinking budgets complicate efforts to receive, store, distribute, track, and administer vaccines, as well as monitor individuals for adverse events.

January 11

Vaccine Doses Go Unused or Are Trashed

Biden’s goal remains 100 million vaccinations in 100 days, and he pledges to release all available doses, reversing Trump’s decision to hold back doses to ensure that second shots were available for those who had already received their first Pfizer/BioNTech or Moderna dose—at this point, the only approved COVID-19 vaccines. Rollout has been chaotic, as the CDC relegated responsibility to states to determine vaccination priority and extra doses built up in freezers or were trashed due to regulation confusion."
Then you have no idea what the hell you are talking about buying liberal rhetoric, the gov't has refunded to the states every dollar related to Covid 19, The vaccine was approved in Mid December, I got my first shot on January 6. Stop spreading liberal gossip and propaganda. You better pay attention to actual results and start recognizing what a fool the left has made out of you and continue to do so. You tell me what states aren't getting reimbursed for Covid 19 expenses which in fact are skewed upwards as hospitals and state agencies are getting reimbursed for stated Covid deaths that aren't Covid

No matter how you try to spin it, those are jobs lost under Trump that are very much welcomed back! (y)
No one said they weren't welcomed back but they are coming back not due to Biden but due to states opening up. Of course they are welcomed back so why do we need a 1.9 trillion dollar rescue program?

The bolded demonstrates what a pitiful failure of candidate Trump was. Biden ran a disciplined masterful campaign, that resulted in success. Ditto for his beating-back Covid. Biden is turning-out to be more highly skilled than we realized. Well worth my vote. He exceeded my expectations.
Yes he sure did capitalizing on Covid 19 scare tactics and millions and millions of Americans voting no excuse absentee ballots with no control of fraud. Your loyalty to liberalism is cult like

Except that "the customer" demonstrated a willingness and an ability to pay more, and should. The extra payment, however, was siphoned off by parasites.

As in so many other "business sectors" the U.S. flavor of "free market capitalism" is a grift, judging by the ways "the pie", i.e., the money paid by the customers who allegedly justify the "business activity," is "divvied up", and comes out the "other end".

Chomsky, the poster you replied to is typical, of "the industry".

My perspective is the result of recently working full-time for 14 years at only two restaurants. I came back into "the industry" after 25 years working in unrelated business sectors, but my first job had been working for a start up led by three recent Harvard MBA program grads, franchisees of several names popular at the time with buy-in and start up costs modest in comparison with top tier franchises.
The partners were a "mod squad" of that time... the black partner was president, positioned to take advantage of nascent minority incentive and preference programs, the others, a jew and a wasp.

What the three lacked in capital, they more than made up for with education, intelligence, and planning. They intentionally chose their first locations in the city that then included the Culinary Institute of America, offering a steady source of motivated, talented, kitchen staff who contributed more to the businesses than they cost to employ. They also tended to refer their classmates and literally arranged their successors when they resigned in what was and is a transient employee business sector.

I worked three years for them. It was a time when restaurants typically operated without a single hispanic immigrant on staff.

Fast forward 25+ years and upon reentering the sector, this time in fine dining, I observed kitchens exclusively employing hispanic immigrant staff, and not justified by lower labor cost but by being the very best at what they do, and it is pressured, hard, hot work, satisfying clientele who literally can afford to eat anywhere, and keep them coming back.

My 1970s experience was that food cost was below 20 percent, vs nearly twice that in turn of the century fine dining. My final dozen years in the restaurant business was working only week nights in just one, "expense account" clientele restaurant owned by a highly successful, local, "Pop" initially one of two partnered chefs who began with just one fine dining location in 1980 and had expanded in just over 20 years to a dozen locations of different themes, also mostly fine dining, all within five minutes drive from each other.

My advice is to chose your employer wisely and you will avoid being the typical transient employee in a transient sector.

Influenced by the siphoning off of restaurant revenue, partly driven by pandemic, it seems Doordash, "Uber Eats" and Grubhub indicate the "customer dollar" exists and could fund living wages in many communities if those three did not exist, most customers eat on site or pick up their own food, or restaurants set up their own delivery arrangements.

The parent McDonalds Corp. market cap is $173 billion.:

51223172447_74ef7b4bfd_b.jpg

Even after it's rather steep, one day share price drop, the market cap of just one retail food delivery corp., DoorDash,
was $4 billion greater than SYSCO, international supplier to restaurants .:
"..The company serves restaurants, hospitals and nursing homes, schools and colleges, hotels and motels, industrial caterers, and other foodservice venues. As of June 27, 2020, it operated 326 distribution facilities. Sysco Corporation was founded in 1969 and is headquartered in Houston, Texas."

Interesting insight, Post. Thanks for sharing it!

Back
Top Bottom