• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The coronavirus continues to spread in Florida with no end in sight

That damn Newsome and Cuomo
They don't care. All of the usual posters here are just taking their chance to blindly vomit out the same insults against the right that they chew on for the whole day. And directly ignore just how horrible the issue is for everyone.

Hell you have a poster who's apparently overjoyed at the prospect of right wing individuals dying.
If that doesn't give you any insight into the botched morality of the far-left, then I don't know what will.

I just watch the slobber-slinging, utter lunacy, and general BS of the left.
I'd say far-left. Because left wing liberals and by that I mean "classic liberals" are having none of that lunacy.

They don't care. All of the usual posters here are just taking their chance to blindly vomit out the same insults against the right that they chew on for the whole day. And directly ignore just how horrible the issue is for everyone.
The right deserved every single insult we throw at them. If it's so horrible for them they can wear a mask, get vaccinated and stop acting like idiots.

The right deserved every single insult we throw at them. If it's so horrible for them they can wear a mask, get vaccinated and stop acting like idiots.
They do all of that, including the social distancing and whatnot.
So your outburst only reveals that you can't help but react in an overly emotional manner. As well as playing this same line of demagoguery that so many people have become annoyed with.

I'd say far-left. Because left wing liberals and by that I mean "classic liberals" are having none of that lunacy.
By the classic definition they aren't LIBERAL at all; they fit some form of collectivism.

So your outburst only reveals that you can't help but react in an overly emotional manner. As well as playing this same line of demagoguery that so many people have become annoyed with.
When antivaccers stop demonstrating against vaccine mandates and Trumpers wear masks at Trump rallies I'll believe you.

And while I'm on the subject, stop the stupid Nazi comparisons.

Florida currently leads the nation in new cases per day, third behind MS and LA in new cases per capita. DeathSantis' dictate to only release the data once per week on Fridays isn't helping.

Nearly every county in Florida is getting infected at more than one in a hundred people PER DAY. In Jacksonville, for instance, one in 66 people is getting infected every single day.

Welcome to DeathSantis' Florida!

(Deaths-not-cases-matter comments will be dismissed.)

So you bluster with pre-emptive hand waving of embarrassing counter-factuals, as if that is an "argument"?

LOL...I can see why you would ignore deaths. So-called "cases" are highly dependent on testing rates and vulnerable to inconsistent counting methods (e.g. repeated tests of the same patient inflates numbers). And because it is a poor measurement , something more obvious and consistently applied (e.g. hospitalization or better still, the counting of a dead person) is far more reliable than "cases" in tracking the trend of COVID spread.

We know that you know that your trope wasn't worth spit - death rates peaked 10 days ago and has since collapse to 29..7% of that peak. Need a picture to face that reality?

1629513032026.png

August 10th: Moving Average of 149 Deaths
August 20th: Moving Average of 44 Deaths

Florida pandemic crisis is over for now. As always, a states "outbreak" is the momentary and cynical opportunity for partisan screaming that the sky is falling and the fault of the political enemy of the moment...and then it moves on to some other state and politician.

You rode this horse of hate De Santis hate too long, its just about dead at this point.

So you bluster with pre-emptive hand waving of embarrassing counter-factuals, as if that is an "argument"?

LOL...I can see why you would ignore deaths. So-called "cases" are highly dependent on testing rates and vulnerable to inconsistent counting methods (e.g. repeated tests of the same patient inflates numbers). And because it is a poor measurement , something more obvious and consistently applied (e.g. hospitalization or better still, the counting of a dead person) is far more reliable than "cases" in tracking the trend of COVID spread.

We know that you know that your trope wasn't worth spit - death rates peaked 10 days ago and has since collapse to 29..7% of that peak. Need a picture to face that reality?

View attachment 67348883

Florida pandemic crisis is over for now. As always, a states "outbreak" is the momentary and cynical opportunity for partisan screaming that the sky is falling and the fault of the political enemy of the moment...and then it moves on to some other state and politician.

You rode this horse of hate De Santis hate too long, its just about dead at this point.

You guys are fantastic at the entire "prematurely declaring victory" thing.

View attachment 67348883

It's still 200 a day. Florida report over 1400 covid deaths last week

It's still 200 a day. Florida report over 1400 covid deaths last week

No matter how much the orlando sentinel attempts to ignore or obscure the record collapse in the moving average of COVID deaths, the immediate numbers (not the delayed second hand reporting of the CDC) tallied from the latest state and county records directly from Florida are undisputed:

1629522832538.png

August 5th, 2020 mv avg peak was 226 in daily deaths.
Jan 19th, 2021 mv avg peak was 201 in daily deaths.
August 8th mv avg peak was 148 in daily deaths.

As of today, August 20th, in just 12 days that has collapsed to 44 deaths as the the daily rate, less than 30% of what it was 10-12 days ago.

The only "news" in this is that the always dubious testing based case rate has become an immaterial measurement to the actual proportion of serious new clinical COVID infections. In other words, herd immunity is spreading while the rate of death is declining - its good news, get over it!

Still carping over DeSantis is yellow journalism's old news, and a desperate OP cannot save it.

No matter how much the orlando sentinel attempts to ignore or obscure the record collapse in the moving average of COVID deaths, the immediate numbers (not the delayed second hand reporting of the CDC) tallied from the latest state and county records directly from Florida are undisputed:

View attachment 67348899

August 5th, 2020 mv avg peak was 226 in daily deaths.
Jan 19th, 2021 mv avg peak was 201 in daily deaths.
August 8th mv avg peak was 148 in daily deaths.

As of today, August 20th, in just 12 days that has collapsed to 44 deaths as the the daily rate, less than 30% of what it was 10-12 days ago.

The only "news" in this is that the always dubious testing based case rate has become an immaterial measurement to the actual proportion of serious new clinical COVID infections. In other words, herd immunity is spreading while the rate of death is declining - its good news, get over it!

Still carping over DeSantis is yellow journalism's old news, and a desperate OP cannot save it.
Actually, because of the way the data gets reported (once a week), it's not 44 deaths a day. If you look at the information from John Hopkins university

I'll give you a big hint . And average of 44 a day would make 308 deaths. 1486 is NOT 308. There were 1486 deaths in florida from covid last week. You are basing your claim on invalid data.

John Hopkins unversity IS not a news paper. It is a medical university. Your hand waving the source away won't work with this one.

1629556949919.png

LOL...I can see why you would ignore deaths.

Actually deaths are at an all-time high in Florida.

As I promised here:

You are dismissed. :)

Like I said, they're really good a premature claims of victory.

Actually, because of the way the data gets reported (once a week), it's not 44 deaths a day. If you look at the information from John Hopkins university

I'll give you a big hint . And average of 44 a day would make 308 deaths. 1486 is NOT 308. There were 1486 deaths in florida from covid last week. You are basing your claim on invalid data.

John Hopkins unversity IS not a news paper. It is a medical university. Your hand waving the source away won't work with this one.
Actually deaths are at an all-time high in Florida.

As I promised here:

You are dismissed. :)

I bolded the most relevant text. And for the benefit of RAMOSS, I notice that he provided his own "big hint" as to why both of you are still not getting it. The data from the State of Florida to John Hopkins and the CDC is provided on a WEEKLY basis now. A weekly total of all deaths is cumulative of 7 days of daily deaths. THAT DOES NOT MEASURE A DAILY TREND OVER 10-12 days. A trend of daily deaths upward starting at DAY 1 thru DAY 7 (say 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70) adds up to the same cumulative weekly total for a following weeks daily trend downward on DAY 8 to 14 (70, 60, 50, 40, 30, 20, 10). Would anyone but a fool then conclude there no daily trend downward in week two because its 7 day total was the same as week one's?

Of course not.

In short, John Hopkins is using weekly official state stats are, by definition, incapable of reflecting a daily trend on daily deaths. So when RAMOSS vents over 44 deaths a day making 308 deaths a week he is confused. No one said 44 deaths a day was an average daily rate for the week, what Worldometers are reporting is that as of yesterday the MV AVG declined to 44 a day and, by the way, is today NOW down to 34 a day. (Seven day moving averages measure the average decline or rise as of each day of a week).

Bottom line is, and always has been, that John Hopkins uses data provided by a State office on its own timeline, which is now weekly. Worldometers has always also used individual county data on a DAILY basis.

You guys are wasting your breath if you think WoM is wrong because, to date, I've read nothing suggesting WoM isn't the gold standard for such tracking. Nor was it at variance with JH when JH used to report daily deaths for Florida (which it no longer can or does).

Get with it... daily deaths have been plummeting in Florida (and it seems cases have just started doing so as well). A week from today it will be very obvious in "weekly" trends as the week over week cumulative declining totals will follow.

This wave of the pandemic in Florida deaths is over. Florida will move on, as all states do, to wait for the next wave sometime in the late fall/winter. Till then, its yesterday's yellow journalism news.

Move on.

Last edited:
Florida currently leads the nation in new cases per day, third behind MS and LA in new cases per capita. DeathSantis' dictate to only release the data once per week on Fridays isn't helping.

Nearly every county in Florida is getting infected at more than one in a hundred people PER DAY. In Jacksonville, for instance, one in 66 people is getting infected every single day.

Welcome to DeathSantis' Florida!

You left out the rest of the country.

Back
Top Bottom