• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Parliamentarian nixes minimum wage hike in coronavirus bill

JANFU

Land by the Gulf Stream
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Well that takes it off the table for a tad of time
For those against a raise in the min wage, mainly Republicans, people should be paid a decent wage
I wonder how much Fed/State monies are paid to subsidize heath care for those below the poverty levels

US has a higher level of poverty than most developed economies, perhaps the highest, have not checked

Again and again those at low income pay the price for such a ridiculous min wage

Senate Parliamentarian Elizabeth MacDonough ruled Thursday that a plan to boost the minimum wage as part of a $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief bill doesn’t comply with budget rules.

The decision from the key Senate official is a significant blow to progressives, who viewed the plan to increase the minimum wage to $15 per hour as one of their top priorities in the massive coronavirus relief plan.

Because Democrats are trying to pass the coronavirus bill through reconciliation — a fast-track process that lets them bypass the 60-vote legislative filibuster — every provision has to comply with arcane budget rules.

I'll say this is disappointing, but no surprising. It is a pretty arcane determination. I think President Biden sort of presaged that decision today.

I'll say this is disappointing, but no surprising. It is a pretty arcane determination. I think President Biden sort of presaged that decision today.
1 thing of many that stands out clearly in the minds of Canadians/EU, is how C19 put US social support programs in full focus as failing
I would also include a good number of Dems in the US that would agree with this POV

Them's the rules, I guess. Would have thought that this was all worked out already; people need the money in this bill yesterday. Why not send out the stimulus checks and then work through the rest if it's going to take so long.

I didn’t think minimum wage hike should have been in the COVID relief bill, needs to be a stand alone. Happy it’s out, now let’s see where the votes end up on the relief bill that has huge public approval

I'm somewhat relieved. Let the stimulus pass and they can renegotiate the filibuster for other legislation.

Never put passion before principle... Because even if you win... You still lose.

~Miyagi~

Last edited:
Bernie may have an effective alternative approach which could pass parlimentary muster: strip away a large variety of tax deductions of businesses that do not provide a $15 minimum wage

Bernie may have an effective alternative approach which could pass parlimentary muster: strip away a large variety of tax deductions of businesses that do not provide a $15 minimum wage

Realistically, $15 isn't happening until 2025 or later. Nevertheless, we should still see something approaching that level because it's just smart economics at this point.

I'd be all for legislation that gives tax credits for companies that do not support minimum wage labor and then tie it to the labor market.

However... Upward revisions in the wage floor need to be tied to the labor market.

I had always figured that was going to be a long shot anyway.

Its tough for a political party thats not wanting the country to slide into a nostalgic abyss.

For those against a raise in the min wage, mainly Republicans, people should be paid a decent wage
I wonder how much Fed/State monies are paid to subsidize heath care for those below the poverty levels

US has a higher level of poverty than most developed economies, perhaps the highest, have not checked

Again and again those at low income pay the price for such a ridiculous min wage

Good for her!. Items in a bill should be related to the purpose of the bill. Minimum Wage is a separate issue, and should be a part of it's own process. It's bad enough Democrats are using a backdoor process to avoid working with Republicans.

If we ever get a majority of somewhat honest and ethical elected representatives in Washington, they really need to create and pass a Constitutional Amendment saying that no spending bill's text can exceed on page.

It also needs to stipulate that all of these bills be created and passed by Congress and that each of these be signed by the President.

Also that no money can be spent by the Federal Government that is not authorized in an actual, passed, Federal Budget created and passed the legislature and signed by the President.

The congress and the entire Federal Government has ONE JOB. Spend the people's money wisely.

They are failing and have been failing for decades.

Them's the rules, I guess. Would have thought that this was all worked out already; people need the money in this bill yesterday. Why not send out the stimulus checks and then work through the rest if it's going to take so long.

People who needed the money in this bill "yesterday" needed this money in October.

Why not strive instead to implement a large variety of measures the would create a 3.5% Unemployment Rate and a 63.5% Participation Rate?

Realistically, $15 isn't happening until 2025 or later. Nevertheless, we should still see something approaching that level because it's just smart economics at this point.

I'd be all for legislation that gives tax credits for companies that do not support minimum wage labor and then tie it to the labor market.

However... Upward revisions in the wage floor need to be tied to the labor market.

$15.00/hour justifies plenty of automation.

<snip>

If you’re a restaurant owner looking into automating ordering and payments through a self-service ordering kiosk, you’re in the right place. Read on to discover the technology stack behind touchscreen ordering kiosks, the milestones of developing one, how they work, and when to choose custom development over off-the-shelf solutions.

Restaurant Self-Service Ordering Kiosk

SOURCE: DRIBBBLE.COM BY BEN BRECKLER

<snip>

I'm willing to bet that most opposed to an increase in the minum wage to $15, in this Bill or any Bill, are happy enough to get their $1400 cheques whether they need them or not....after all their entitled.

I'm not surprised at all. I don't think it belongs in that particular bill. It's an issue that voters support, so the question is whether that will make it tougher for opponents to fight when (and if) it is introduced.

$15.00/hour justifies plenty of automation.

<snip>

If you’re a restaurant owner looking into automating ordering and payments through a self-service ordering kiosk, you’re in the right place. Read on to discover the technology stack behind touchscreen ordering kiosks, the milestones of developing one, how they work, and when to choose custom development over off-the-shelf solutions.

Restaurant Self-Service Ordering Kiosk

SOURCE: DRIBBBLE.COM BY BEN BRECKLER

<snip>

Gosh... We are fortunate that we haven't had a $15/hour minimum wage so that we could save all those jobs that might be replaced by things like Doordash, Grubhub, Favor, etc. The tech stack for kiosk ordering has been around for 20 years or more... Mobile ordering is the future, not kiosks and that's coming regardless of the minimum wage...

The parliamentarian says you can give tax cuts to the rich but not raise wages for the poorest Americans.

That‘s pretty on-point.
Which is why she should be fired and ignored.

Lets see if the witch Pelosi and Gramps do it anyway

Back
Top Bottom