• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

obesity observation

When I went to Europe a few years back I didn't see any fat people. We are a very unhealthy country.
When you don't have tens of thousands of tempting items on supermarket shelves in the smaller cities in Europe, you're not going to be tempted to try everything you see because it looks so good. You go into a grocery store in any country in Europe and you will find things that you need but not an over-abundance of the same item on multiple shelves.
It pays to find only what you need in a grocery store.

I could argue there's no real difference, especially compared to any other country, but thanks for the actual numbers.
The most obese states have an obesity rate that's about 60% higher than the ones with the lowest states, but regardless of where you are, I agree that the US has a huge problem with weight.

Something I noticed when looking at the obesity numbers, there doesn't seem to be a strong correlation between covid death rates and obesity. For example,

StateDeaths/1M popAdult Obesity Rate
New Jersey3012 (1st)27.7% (42nd)
New York2805 (2nd)27.1% (43rd)
Mississippi2685 (3rd)40.8% (1st)
Massachusetts2637 (4th)25.2% (47th)
Rhode Island2599 (5th)30% (35th)

StateDeaths/1M popAdult Obesity Rate
Hawaii398 (50th)25% (48th)
Vermont433 (49th)26.6% (45th)
Alaska555 (48th)30.5% (33rd)
Maine687 (47th)31.7% (28th)
Oregon714 (46th)29% (40th)

It looks like the states with the top 5 highest and lowest covid death rates had some of the lowest obesity rates. Maybe if I did it for all 50 states the relationship would seem stronger, but it doesn't seems very strong by looking at these tables.

It is mostly exercise. Doctors are telling people to eat less, and they are not telling them exercise would have prevented them getting fatter every year. Eating less slows the metabolism and guarantees you will get fatter every year.
Cite your study. I don't think you'll find any that show exercise works long term for weight loss. Sure, you can burn calories, but you get hungry and so are in a chronic calorie deficit, and I'm not sure why that will have a different impact on metabolism than someone who doesn't exercise and is in the same caloric deficit. The Biggest Losers lost a lot of weight, and exercise was a huge part of it, and their metabolism slowed and almost all of them regained the lost weight.

Adding muscle helps because muscle burns calories, and fat doesn't, but that's not walking or running or other cardio.

The best evidence I've seen is that obesity is largely a hormonal problem, caused by diets high in sugar and refined carbs, and there's increasing evidence that manufactured vegetable oils so heavy in processed foods are also a big contributor as they aren't processed well and act as low grade poisons. We don't know for sure, yet, but the evidence indicates that it's more properly looked at as a disease than a problem of overeating and no exercise.

Poor people don't eat as well as wealthy people. Good, healthy food costs more.
Uneducated people don't eat as well as educated people either. Partly because educated people have more money and partly because they're usually smarter and understand that bringing home take-out 4 nights a week is unhealthy.
And who knows, maybe diet considerations are a leftist thing, in some minds.
I was thinking that fast food might be a bigger part of southern culture, but yeah perhaps money and education plays a role too.

I have never seen, until now, ads on TV for jeans worn by really big women. And a large woman from Saturday Night Live is the main dancer. I believe it will become more and more common to see clothing ads for super-sized people because, after all, how can you avoid seeing such people every day wherever you look?
What a country we live in. The government has to give out money to reduce childhood hunger while, at the same time, you see really huge, obviously obese people walking around looking like they should be candidates for bariatric surgery.

The clothing departments have posters of fat models, and they have fat mannequins. As if it were ok to be fat, as if it were not a major cause of this pandemic.

Being on your feet all day is different from doing a sustained fast walk.
How? They're burning calories, and doing a lot of walking, every day. What's the mechanism at play so that walking fast for an hour per day prevents obesity, but not other physical activity such as working as a clerk and on your feet all day, or walking around the house taking care of toddlers, or a nurse walking from room to room and on his or her feet all day for 12 hour shifts?

I do not have a link and I hope I am wrong but I read last week that only 2% of infections are asymptomatic.
And mild generally means you are pretty damned sick.

The non "serious illness" has been dramatically underplayed. Most folks who get Covid get real sick. Not "just" flu sick (which has had me hospitalized twice)

You don't have a link, and you ARE wrong. Asymptomatic is VERY common, and for MOST healthy young people who get it, it's either nothing or like a cold.

And we have no way of knowing how many are asymptomatic, since they don't usually get tested.

Processed foods as a whole are a big culprit.

Processed foods aren't good, but the obesity epidemic is caused by dieting, and by no exercise. Dieting can slow your metabolism so much that you can eat 500 calories a day and still be fat.

The clothing departments have posters of fat models, and they have fat mannequins. As if it were ok to be fat, as if it were not a major cause of this pandemic.
Well, clothing companies exist to sell clothes, and if 40% of their target audience is obese, they'll make clothes to sell to them, and display them, to increase sales to them. They're not making moral judgments about obesity when they sell clothes for the size people ARE. Clothing companies don't exist to be public health advocates. That's someone else's job.

Something I noticed when looking at the obesity numbers, there doesn't seem to be a strong correlation between covid death rates and obesity. For example,

The presence of major airports, tourism and population density are not driving factors for obesity but play a major role in Covid.

Oversimplified, I'd say the above factors outweigh the impact of obesity on Covid death rates.

I expect the obese are more prone to long-term heart and other conditions resulting from Covid. So while obesity may not be a major factor in death rate, I expect we will find it results in greater long term effects than a control group.

We are looking at deaths per million and not deaths per case. So obesity could result in a higher mortality yet not impact rate.

Reactions: AJG
Well, clothing companies exist to sell clothes, and if 40% of their target audience is obese, they'll make clothes to sell to them, and display them, to increase sales to them. They're not making moral judgments about obesity when they sell clothes for the size people ARE. Clothing companies don't exist to be public health advocates. That's someone else's job.

Tobacco ads became illegal. Why can't fat ads be illegal?

...you can eat 500 calories a day and still be fat.
lol..I call bullshit. Anyone eating 500 cal per day for an extended period of time will not be fat. It's mathematically impossible.

Processed foods aren't good, but the obesity epidemic is caused by dieting, and by no exercise. Dieting can slow your metabolism so much that you can eat 500 calories a day and still be fat.
What you eat is the critical component. There's an obsession with caloric intake, but less on the kind of calories people are consuming. I agree that exercise in general is good, but without a change in eating habits, it can easily not bring about the desired results.

Processed foods aren't good, but the obesity epidemic is caused by dieting, and by no exercise.
If it's not what we eat, then why was obesity rare in 1970 and widespread today? Do you think exercise dropped off a cliff? And people in 1970 didn't need to diet because they effortlessly avoided being obese. No one counted calories in my house as a kid, and we were all very thin. Dad played golf a couple of times a week and mom played a bit of tennis, but neither 'exercised' or made a point to walk every day, and they stayed thin as did all of the kids.

And why does obesity follow the 'western' diet wherever it's introduced if it's not the 'western' diet?

And we have no way of knowing how many are asymptomatic, since they don't usually get tested.
You could probably get a decent estimate by testing people randomly, or by testing as many people as you can regardless of symptoms.

You don't have a link, and you ARE wrong. Asymptomatic is VERY common, and for MOST healthy young people who get it, it's either nothing or like a cold.

recall this post as the weeks pass.

There is a definite trend away from this belief.

What you are reciting was the belief with the original strain. This does not seem to be the case with Delta.

I hope that you stopped at a drug store to get vaccinated while counting overweight people.
You've got to be kidding, right?

If it's not what we eat, then why was obesity rare in 1970 and widespread today? Do you think exercise dropped off a cliff? And people in 1970 didn't need to diet because they effortlessly avoided being obese. No one counted calories in my house as a kid, and we were all very thin. Dad played golf a couple of times a week and mom played a bit of tennis, but neither 'exercised' or made a point to walk every day, and they stayed thin as did all of the kids.

And why does obesity follow the 'western' diet wherever it's introduced if it's not the 'western' diet?
Back in the 70's, there wasn't a cookie aisle in the grocery store. Also, most people ate home cooking back then.

Going out was a treat. People ordered pizza maybe once a week. And, most of them didn't order the monster size 2 fer 1's we see today. Let's not forget the soda. Soda consumption is through the roof.

As kids, we considered a trip to McDonalds a major event. Today, FF is breakfast, lunch and dinner for probably half the population. And, rare is seeing one of those Micky D junkies not slurping on a 20 oz Coke or Mountain Dew.

Anyone who is at risk can get a vaccine. Anyone who is not at risk should not be forced or pressured into it.
In one post you say vaccines don't work, and in another you assume 100% effectiveness. The truth is they work for most people, but fail others, so a decision to not vaccinate predictably increases disease, and spread, and puts those at risk for whom the vaccine failed.

I laugh at all the bullshit that swirls around fatsos.

It's simple as can be. If you eat more calories than you burn, you gain weight. If you burn more calories than you consume, you lose weight. I am not sure what could be simpler.

I am not talking about all vaccines, only the new covid vaccines. We all know there is censorship, and the "dangerous misinformation" that these vaccines could be harmful is not allowed on mainstream media.

I have spent a lot of time searching and found information by qualified immunologists and virologists who are concerned about these vaccines.
OK, cite your sources. What is their evidence? Where did they obtain their data? If they're the same ones telling you vaccines don't work and don't prevent infection or spread, they're hacks and cranks.

And the fact that all vaccines have side effects, including the COVID vaccine, is 'allowed' on 'mainstream media.' CDC reports those side effects.

I never kid about the benefits of vaccination.
I hope you're kidding again.

You're going to find out, and it cant be reversed.

I hope you never again tell anyone that the jab is a great idea.

Tobacco ads became illegal. Why can't fat ads be illegal?
By "fat ads" do you mean ads that contains fat people? I think the difference is that in one case you're discriminating against a group of people and in the other case you're discriminating against a product that's known to cause cancer and heart disease.

Back
Top Bottom