• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Need to buy a new Lawn Mower any suggestions?

Common Sense 1

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
It's time I upgrade and purchase a new lawn mower. I mow about 5 acres.
Currently have 2 mowers a Husqvarna YTH2148 and a John Deere LA 145.
With 1 person mowing it's about 6 hour project.

Looking to upgrade to probably a zero turn lawn mower. What do you use?
How is the reliability and ease of maintenance?

From what I have read a zero turn lawn mower will really reduce the mowing time.

cub-cadet-zero-turn-mowers-ultima-zt1-50-64_1000.jpg

cub-cadet-zero-turn-mowers-ultima-zt1-50-40_600.jpg

From what I have read a zero turn lawn mower will really reduce the mowing time.
I started over 30 years ago with a big box store MTD/Murray with a Kohler motor. I bought a 1 3/4 acre, neglected lot. That mower, about $1200, iirc, served me well for about 4 years. I replaced the deck once. It was abused in practice, but I kept up with the maintenance, and sold it for about a third of what I had spent.

I upgraded to a John Deere 425 and kept that for about ten years. I also bought a plow for the front. Next was a X585 JD. The plow fit the new unit and I got about half of what I paid. The X585 was a good unit. About 10 years in, I got the wants for something new. A Bad Boy caught my eye and I paid more for that than most cars that I bought that weren’t new. The BB was well built what didn’t cut nearly as well as the JD. I took a bath getting out from under the BB. The dealer got amnesia when I complained and corporate was no help either..

I went back to JD a few years ago, X739? All time 4WD, 4 wheel steering, and all the whistles and bells. The unit had .4 tenths on the clock. That should have been a clue. It ripped patches out of the lawn and JD took the unit back.

I had been passing a Massey-Ferguson dealer for a few years and checke them out. I settled on a GC 1705. It was my first diesel and I was hesitant. I couldn’t be happier. It cuts well and I have yet to get it to stall in long grass. My one complaint is that there is no mulching option and the chute cover is steel and really needs to be removed. The clipping exit the chute and reach about 5-6 feet. You need to be aware of what direction you are going in..

The MF has a plow option and there is a three-point hitch included.

Zero-turn requires a learning curve to keep from ripping patches out when you turn…

Looking at what you now have, there will be some sticker shock…

@Common Sense 1

Looking at what you now have, there will be some sticker shock…

@Common Sense 1
Absolutely! I have been trying to do my homework because of the cost........
Like you said your BB was costly. Been saving so it's good. Want something that will take
the abuse of mowing 5 acres. Thanks for all the information Rexedgar.

Do you actually have a 5 acre "lawn" or is it more likely a field of non turf grasses and/or weeds? Only reason I ask, is that if all you are doing is mulching weeds down to a low height every couple of weeks, then no reason to invest in the kind of large riding turf mower which would be used for example at a golf course. If so then save yourself some money, and much easier maintenance, and buy a walk behind field and brush cutter. Leaving to a quality self propelled walking gas mower the area closer to the house which is actually some some kind of more manicured turf grass lawn.

Do you actually have a 5 acre "lawn" or is it more likely a field of non turf grasses and/or weeds? Only reason I ask, is that if all you are doing is mulching weeds down to a low height every couple of weeks, then no reason to invest in the kind of large riding turf mower which would be used for example at a golf course. If so then save yourself some money, and much easier maintenance, and buy a walk behind field and brush cutter. Leaving to a quality self propelled walking gas mower the area closer to the house which is actually some some kind of more manicured turf grass lawn.
I consider it a lawn. There are some weeds but the grass comes in pretty thick. If there is an outbreak of dandelions
I used a little weed killer on them.

I consider it a lawn. There are some weeds but the grass comes in pretty thick. If there is an outbreak of dandelions
I used a little weed killer on them.
One more thought; I would stay away from the big-box store offerings. It’s one of those you get what you pay for deals…..

If you do your homework the dealers will negotiate.

I was going to suggest a cordless electric, but your lawn is a little bigger than mine.

Probably would need a gang of batteries to get this cut.

I'm with @ASHES as far as going electric. I'm almost fully electric at this point with mower, trimmers, hedge trimmer, chainsaw, leaf blower and there is no way I'd go back to gas. It is so nice to not have to deal with gas and praying that the piece of shit starts. Power washer and snowblowers are still gas. I'm going to need a zero turn in a few years, and it will be electric. They are more expensive, but I don't care. Here are a few, but they keep getting better and cheaper every year:

I'm with @ASHES as far as going electric. I'm almost fully electric at this point with mower, trimmers, hedge trimmer, chainsaw, leaf blower and there is no way I'd go back to gas. It is so nice to not have to deal with gas and praying that the piece of shit starts. Power washer and snowblowers are still gas. I'm going to need a zero turn in a few years, and it will be electric. They are more expensive, but I don't care. Here are a few, but they keep getting better and cheaper every year:

I will check these out. Don't know thing about them. Thx for the info.

Get a robot mower

it’s like a yard roomba

Zero turn is the way to go with that kind of acreage. I would get a diesel unit as they will be on the commercial scale which is what you need for that size. Your fuel usage should be fairly miserly and you will be able to get good speed and the maintenance will be fairly minimal far less than with gas. Just use a fuel stabilizer compatible with diesel. I would get a 72inch deck. You will be able to cut your mow time to less than 2 hours probably about an hour or a tich over as you will have a wider mow width and over double the speed of your existing mowers.

Kubota and Yanmar both make excellent reliable motors that will last forever.

Kubota ZD1500 Kubota Motor
Toro 7000 Kubota Motor
Hustler Super Z Shibaura Motor a well know Japanese motor. I would check parts availability on it but Hustler is a good brand.
Exmark Lazer Z you can get a 96inch deck with this one. Yanmar Motor very well known small diesel motors especially in the marine and trucking industries.
Grasshopper 400D Kubota motor

Badboy Renegade. Not sure on this one. I would go look at one and do a test mow before I got one. The motor is a Perkins which is just a rebranded Caterpillar motor with a British accent.

Good luck.

I will check these out. Don't know thing about them. Thx for the info.
Electric on your kind of acreage is still a ways away unless you want to buy a bunch of extra packs and rotate them out as they are expended or pay some ducage for a commercial model.

Mean Green Rival 60 and the Gravely EVZT

Get a few!
Proper tool for the job my man. Proper tool for the job. The little robots are great for small yards with short greens style grass. 6 acres not so much.

Just saw something that will float your boat.

Proper tool for the job my man. Proper tool for the job. The little robots are great for small yards with short greens style grass. 6 acres not so much.

Just saw something that will float your boat.

@Common Sense 1

I know I said, “one final thought,” but get the dealer to provide a demo on your yard, if at all possible. That can save a lot of headaches down the road.

My daughter mows roughly 5 acres with a Toro SS5000. It's a residential grade zero turn. About 2 hours for the 5 acres, but a large part is wide open. She had a rather heavy duty John Deere when she moved there...not the sort bought at a big box store. I figure she saved an hour and a half at least. Only a two inch difference in cutting width, but the speed difference is substantial. The John Deere garden tractor was better behaved on slopes though.

For what it's worth, I have an AGCO-Allis that is a rebranded Simplicity. It's the best cutting machine I've ever owned, but wouldn't be fast enough for five acres.

You will not regret getting a zero turn mower. As long as you get a nationally ranked brand you will be just fine. I'd estimate a zero turn will cut your mowing time 25-30% at least.

Back
Top Bottom