• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Have you ever bullseyed a 10 inch rifle target at 200 yards with iron sights? Nothing like it. This is why I like guns.

Grandpappy

America First Populist
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
It's the feeling of accomplishment that comes from learning a skill. At 200 yards, the front sight covers the entire target picture. You have to rely on instinct and you must know your rifle really well. Iron sights means "no scope", just the rifles original sights.
All rifles shoot a little differently, some high at 200 and low at 100, some a little left or right. Some ammo brands are more or less accurate. It's a science.
My most accurate rifle was made in Korea in 1941 by slave labor. The world was, and is a strange place. Just take it in stride.

It's the feeling of accomplishment that comes from learning a skill. At 200 yards, the front sight covers the entire target picture. You have to rely on instinct and you must know your rifle really well. Iron sights means "no scope", just the rifles original sights.
All rifles shoot a little differently, some high at 200 and low at 100, some a little left or right. Some ammo brands are more or less accurate. It's a science.
My most accurate rifle was made in Korea in 1941 by slave labor. The world was, and is a strange place. Just take it in stride.

You're trying to justify slave labor based on the conditions eighty years ago?? This might be the most Boomer thing you've said yet! :ROFLMAO:

my most accurate rifle was a late 80s Marlin 0.22 with a scope. even after i removed the scope, the sight on it was pretty good. i think that i aimed up and slightly to the right. i've fired other guns that were a little more accurate, and if i had taken the time, i could have learned how to adjust the scope. i mostly just looked at where the shot was actually going and compensated. i would probably need a scope now for over a hundred yards.

my most accurate rifle was a late 80s Marlin 0.22 with a scope. even after i removed the scope, the sight on it was pretty good. i think that i aimed up and slightly to the right. i've fired other guns that were a little more accurate, and if i had taken the time, i could have learned how to adjust the scope. i mostly just looked at where the shot was actually going and compensated. i would probably need a scope now for over a hundred yards.
That's how it's done.

nah, cant say as I have.
I've been pretty busy having a life 'n stuff.
(y)

Social injustice is a cause worth fighting...improving your aim at a target 200''' away is not.
Can you really only do one thing at a time?

That's how it's done.

I'd like to get a bit better at it. For example, I haven't done much distance target shooting where wind is a factor. When I get more time, that might be something that I would become interested in learning. A fun memory is my mom's cousin teaching me to shoot a vintage flintlock when i was about twelve. He gave me a nice compliment : "He pretty much shoots where he looks."

Meh. The OP is jut trying to get a rise out of people. He never really has anything interesting to talk about. That's why we get numerous threads from off the top of his head, with a "zinger" thrown in to get some kind of reaction.

Congrats,
Back in my youth we shot for record on hoist and paste targets. Hitting the 10 ring a few times per 'string' was done by many guys. The Mattel has a crappy trigger but a very flat round. I prefer the peep sight to the V many older and foreign rifles have.

What size was your bullseye? Most are 1 moa but I'm sure it varies. A rifle club on Ft. Sill used to host iron sight matches before Covid. They were fun.

What caliber are you using? I roll my own (308) but if I had to buy some I'd try to get as much as I can with the same lot # for consistency.

Have fun... ✌️

I've lost my passion for guns over the years.
Of course, when I was younger, I really liked to shoot, but because of the service, when it became mandatory, rehearsal, interest in shooting disappeared.
However, I well remember the first time I fired a smoothbore rifle, the IZH 27. I was 16 and I remember well how it kicked me.
At the age of 18, when I was serving in the army, I first fired an AK-74 and was pleasantly surprised by the lack of recoil compared to smoothbore rifles.
Later, when I entered the departmental university, I was very surprised at the availability of the AK-47 as a training weapon. With a wooden handguard and butt. The very presence of this relic in combat condition, and that it has been regularly fired by cadets for so many years, struck me. I could not imagine that these samples of Kalashnikov in general are still somewhere in good condition in Russia.

One hundred and one paces. 158 gr lead SWC .38 hand-loads out of .357 Model 586 center punched a quart Gatorade bottle.

Congratulations, does feel great to be on target. You deserve to bag a little. My Garands and the AR15 have peep sights, and I've put Skinner peep sights on all my old west guns. My old eyes do much better with peep sights than buckhorn sights. Scopes on most of the other rifles. But, like you, I get my greatest satisfaction being on target with iron sights. My most accurate longun is a WWI GEW98 Mauser. it's a tack driver.

What are you . . . . . 12 years old?

Can you really only do one thing at a time?
Making stupid statements takes up a lot of his free time that could be spent multitasking

You are entitled to enjoy your feeling of accomplishment.

I have reveled in similar feelings a number of times...

Decades ago when my only training and experience with weapons was in classrooms and on ranges in Basic Training and then going to the qualifying range and watching that 400 (I think) meter target drop when I aimed and fired my M-14.

Not all that long ago when I was at a range on Forest Service land. I watched a gallon milk jug of water explode at about 300 meters. That was with my Lee-Enfield No.5 Mk1 Jungle Carbine.

1624005428350.png

btw, I have never fired a rifle that was equipped with a scope.

The important thing is the feeling...not what you did to generate the feeling. It's all relative. Anything that is above and beyond a person's normal actions will do it. Heck, I've gotten the same feeling from a particularly difficult maneuver in a computer game.

I’m an adult. The only toys I play with are blond and have long legs.

Snipers are lame. I'm more a fan of martial arts.
Guess it depends on the context. Back in the day would much rather had a sniper in over watch than a guy with a wide belt beside me. Then again would greatly fear a sniper in front of me, so much the Karate Kid... ✌️

Back
Top Bottom