• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Elon Musk says he's put the blockbuster Twitter deal on pause over fake accounts

All financial information is public. Proprietary information is not.

OK, but Musk knew that. This is simply a trick to get out of his “best and final, all cash, offer” with hopes that he can now either get a better deal or just walk away.

It's an excuse. Market analysts have been saying from the start that he's going to have financial trouble swinging the deal. Selling that many Tesla stocks drives down the price of Tesla, which is what he was holding as collateral. And no one actually thinks Twitter is worth what he was paying.

The biggest hint that this is true is that Twitter was trading below what he promised to pay for it. The only way that happens is if the the market did not actually believe that deal would go through. He's an idiot pretending to be a genius.
I don't think idiot is the right word, but like trump, Musk's business acumen is highly overrated.

My gut tells me this is to do with the SEC investigation or maybe a financing concern and he will back out. Mind you that really would set things up for a lawsuit.

I'm not sure he would have met the hyped expectations from the right. He talks a big story but his own actions belie the claim that he stands for free speech. All Tesla employees must sign an agreement that restricts what they can say about the company and he gets very touchy about what is said about him online and in blogs. Once even canceling a car order from someone who was critical of him. I think he would have been quite intolerant of any criticism of himself on Twitter.
Didn’t he get in trouble for manipulating his own stocks. I don’t remember the details.

Way out
Didn’t he get in trouble for manipulating his own stocks. I don’t remember the details.
I don't know if that is true but I am certain this is a ploy to find a way out.

Iv’e read that 90% of Twitters original content was posted by 10% (or less) of its users. If half of them are fakes or bots then that definitely impacts the value of Twitter.
Yet Musk jumped at the chance to buy it anyway......or did he?

Is this really a shock? And I'm not even trying to say that this is him backing our right now, only that it seems to me that he really did jump right in there without thinking or without true intention to buy, at least one of these being true.

If this is about "free speech" rather than money, why would he care which accounts are spam/bogus accounts, how many there are so long as it isn't a significant number? Especially since his plan could include paid accounts anyway.

I do think he will eventually back out of this deal, not go completely through with it. It certainly does seem to be about some form of stock manipulation rather than honestly trying to buy twitter. The other possibility is that this is about information manipulation, a form of blackmail of Twitter going into the midterms, should he take it to that point, that would allow him to leave this looming over their head so that they allow at least some info/people that they otherwise would not allow.

I’ve always thought so. It’s just Musk doing things to keep himself in the public eye….and doing a little pump and dump.

Just like he did with Bitcoin.

I’ve always thought so. It’s just Musk doing things to keep himself in the public eye….and doing a little pump and dump.
Just like he did with Bitcoin.
Yeah, it was bitcoin I was thinking of.

He tweeted about taking Tesla private, and then backed out of that. THe SEC then made a ruling he can't tweet about his company

Is this really a shock? And I'm not even trying to say that this is him backing our right now, only that it seems to me that he really did jump right in there without thinking or without true intention to buy, at least one of these being true.

If this is about "free speech" rather than money, why would he care which accounts are spam/bogus accounts, how many there are so long as it isn't a significant number? Especially since his plan could include paid accounts anyway.

I do think he will eventually back out of this deal, not go completely through with it. It certainly does seem to be about some form of stock manipulation rather than honestly trying to buy twitter. The other possibility is that this is about information manipulation, a form of blackmail of Twitter going into the midterms, should he take it to that point, that would allow him to leave this looming over their head so that they allow at least some info/people that they otherwise would not allow.
Why can't it be about both?

A business has to make money and it Twitter lied on their information to him, that is an issue.

Why can't it be about both?

A business has to make money and it Twitter lied on their information to him, that is an issue.
If true, however, the chances are he's getting cold feet.

Nothing's wrong here. If he thought he was buy the platform with "X" # of users and he's finding out that they created >5% Fake/Bot users
then he should at the bare minimum Change his offer to >5% less!

So if there are 10% of Bot accounts, then he should offer only $39.6Billion, or just walk away for fraud by the seller....

Has absolutely nothing to do with fake accounts. It has everything to do with him not having the money/financing and he never had. He has been begging his rich friends for investment for weeks.

Has absolutely nothing to do with fake accounts. It has everything to do with him not having the money/financing and he never had. He has been begging his rich friends for investment for weeks.
THat, and the Tesla stock took at 20% drop, which affected how much money he has on hand.

It would be a bad investment if it came out that Twitter was mostly bogus accounts. I have to wonder if exposing this was his intention all along and he just wanted to expose Twitter for the fraud it is.

THat, and the Tesla stock took at 20% drop, which affected how much money he has on hand.
Tesla stock was overpriced regardless and his wealth is linked to stocks. He has little cash on hand like most billionaires and is dependent on financing from banks and such... Something that many don't want to do because...it is Elon Musk and he is a brand risk for banks.

I doubt that he will buy Twitter,because it ain't worth 45 billion. It ain't worth 1 billion to be honest. So many companies are over priced, including Tesla.

Just wait till the Chinese Tesla scandal gets enough traction to drown out the Twitter bs. The stock will crash even more.

It would be a bad investment if it came out that Twitter was mostly bogus accounts. I have to wonder if exposing this was his intention all along and he just wanted to expose Twitter for the fraud it is.
Half of Elons followers are bogus. More than half of Trump's were bogus as well. Hell some of my few followers are clearly fake.

He found his out!

Tesla stock was overpriced regardless and his wealth is linked to stocks. He has little cash on hand like most billionaires and is dependent on financing from banks and such... Something that many don't want to do because...it is Elon Musk and he is a brand risk for banks.

I doubt that he will buy Twitter,because it ain't worth 45 billion. It ain't worth 1 billion to be honest. So many companies are over priced, including Tesla.

Just wait till the Chinese Tesla scandal gets enough traction to drown out the Twitter bs. The stock will crash even more.
Chinese Tesla scandal?

Chinese Tesla scandal?
Exactly..... it is similar to the Apple scandal going on in China at the moment. Guessing you have not heard about that one either.

Lets put it this way... 12 hour work shifts, 6 days a week, and locked in factories to avoid Covid outbreaks (and they still happen). Anyone who tries to leave gets beaten and so on and so on.

What lie did Twitter tell? How do you know he even asked? The estimated percentage of fake accounts was in their annual report released in April. So they obviously had that number as their "guesstimate" much earlier. In his Tweet announcing the "hold" he referenced a statement by some analyst the week before repeating the 5% number. It seems to me if this number were so important to him he would have made inquiries himself or have had the lawyers doing "due diligence" look into the matter, not find out about it via annual reports and/or an analyst's statement.

Does anyone even understand what about that number is bothering him? Did he think it was higher or did he think it was lower and specifically why does that matter to him? Some articles say it is the impact on advertising revenue but Musk has said he might move away from advertising and go subscription. He has said he wanted to clean up the fake accounts to make the platform more reputable. I read reports where he thought there was a high percentage of bots and he wanted them gone.

As I say it doesn't pass the smell test. I think he is looking for a way out so he doesn't have to pay the 1Billion $ penalty and likely face laws suits from Twitter investors.

Last edited:

Hey, if I were going to spend $40B+ with all of the crazy assed expectations that are going to come with it--he's supposed to "restore" free speech as we know it--I'd hesitate too.

That being said...the excuse he is giving about there being fake accounts makes me want to call BS. I mean...he must have been the only user on Twitter to not know there were tons of fake accounts.

Exactly..... it is similar to the Apple scandal going on in China at the moment. Guessing you have not heard about that one either.

Lets put it this way... 12 hour work shifts, 6 days a week, and locked in factories to avoid Covid outbreaks (and they still happen). Anyone who tries to leave gets beaten and so on and so on.
Yeah that won't help with the stock prices.

Yes, his goal was to expose bots.

🤣🤣

The Dems are wringing their hands at the prospect that free speech will once again be chilled and they will have their third branch of government.....Marxist twentysomethings deleting conservative accounts because of "disinformation".

Back
Top Bottom