• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cooking with an air fryer

What makes an air fryer different than a toaster oven?
A thing called "Convection" which creates the frying effect. Otherwise u'll just have a broiler.

I'll stay tuned. May need that recipe for chinese chicken balls if you're willing to give it up.
I wish mine turned out as nice as in that picture, but they always have batter sticking out funny places. I use this recipe for chicken balls and this recipe for sweet and sour sauce.

Congratulations! I think you will like it.
I have a Cuisinart and have been using the recipes that came with my model.
I love making homemade french fries with the air fryer.
One thing I've noticed is that you have to watch because everything seems to cook quicker than a recipe states.
I'll practice on freezer burnt fries.

Congratulations! I think you will like it.
I have a Cuisinart and have been using the recipes that came with my model.
I love making homemade french fries with the air fryer.
One thing I've noticed is that you have to watch because everything seems to cook quicker than a recipe states.
Im on the next level. I got all my times to include the warmup time so I can throw the food in cold and the 3 minute warmup time adds to the total cook time.

I wish mine turned out as nice as in that picture, but they always have batter sticking out funny places. I use this recipe for chicken balls and this recipe for sweet and sour sauce.
Try chilling your better. the tens that make it hold together a little bit better to take a little longer to cook but they look prettier.

I'll practice on freezer burnt fries.
Helps it if you have some sort of oil spray and spritz it on it and then add the flavorings (salt or garlic powder or whatever) so it sticks to the oil you sprayed on it. Just enough to make the flavor stick.

Im on the next level. I got all my times to include the warmup time so I can throw the food in cold and the 3 minute warmup time adds to the total cook time.
Some recipe book give you a preheat time, some air fryers have that in their settings.

My air fryer oven has an indicator while preheating and dings when it's at the correct temp.

Helps it if you have some sort of oil spray and spritz it on it and then add the flavorings (salt or garlic powder or whatever) so it sticks to the oil you sprayed on it. Just enough to make the flavor stick.
Helps big time on crisping the outside too.

Makes a lot of sense. Thank you.

Just realized I misspelled "fryer" as "dryer" in the OP, very polite of you all to not see it. I got more tips and ideas than I was expecting, so thanks again to all of you. Really curious how stuff will turn out, it's a shame there's only 3 meals a day, it's going to be awhile before I can try everything.

I've had an air fryer for ages and they make amazing chips.

Cooked my first meal, breaded pork chops. I forgot to spritz them with oil so they didn't get crispy, but it was still good, and tender. I was also dying of curiosity about how fried frozen food would turn out, so made myself a frozen hashbrown. It was crispier than the oven usually does, but not crispy but also oily (even after paper toweling) like frying.

20210228_193300.jpg

Just realized I misspelled "fryer" as "dryer" in the OP, very polite of you all to not see it. I got more tips and ideas than I was expecting, so thanks again to all of you. Really curious how stuff will turn out, it's a shame there's only 3 meals a day, it's going to be awhile before I can try everything.

Haha - spoken like a true foodie! (y)

Yeah, too bad we couldn't eat all we want without getting fat. Some can. Many of us cannot.

Just picked up a fancy new air fryer, hoping to replace the deep dryer and toaster oven on the counter. Does anyone have one, or have experience using one, and have a few ideas for recipes they would recommend? Never used one, but I love deep frying stuff.

I got a basic one for Christmas. Been experimenting here and there and so far everything has turned out pretty good. One thing I like I haven't seen mentioned is cutting up some apples, about 2-3, mixing with brown sugar and butter and popping in for like 7-10 minutes. Goes great with waffles.

I got a basic one for Christmas. Been experimenting here and there and so far everything has turned out pretty good. One thing I like I haven't seen mentioned is cutting up some apples, about 2-3, mixing with brown sugar and butter and popping in for like 7-10 minutes. Goes great with waffles.
That sounds good. Even with cereal in the morning. My main gripe so far is the size. There's enough room for 4 hashbrowns to air dry, so I ordered a new shelf that lets me have two layers, hopefully cooking a bit more at a time. Other than that everyone has been liking how stuff is cooked.

That sounds good. Even with cereal in the morning. My main gripe so far is the size. There's enough room for 4 hashbrowns to air dry, so I ordered a new shelf that lets me have two layers, hopefully cooking a bit more at a time. Other than that everyone has been liking how stuff is cooked.

Mine is on the smaller side too, sounds about the same size but just wanted to try it out. I thought they might have been overhyped but turns out they really do work good.

It looks like it has a pressure cooker built in. I have a thick manual to read. Don't have one of those so it's a bonus if it does. Thanks for the tips too.

That looks pretty nice.

I like using this one because its so huge and you can even rotisserie a whole chicken in it or small turkey. It spins and everything.

It takes up a crap-ton of space. Although I dont think ive turned on the apartment oven in months. Im about to use it to dehydrate some home grown cooking mushrooms.

That's one reason I upgraded to an airfryer oven. Lots more space but the regular airfryers with that contained space do a bit better job on really getting things evenly super crispy. Easy to just shake the basket to flip them around.

I wouldnt go back to the regular airfryer but I wish I hung onto it (donated it to Goodwill) for some of those special cases.

Tried @RetiredUSN's chicken recipe, had mixed results. It was good, and the skin was a bit crispy, but I breaded them all before I started cooking them and I think going in soggy was a mistake. Still, the chicken cooked nicely, and it tasted good. Not like KFC though, my partner says. I think deep frying it would have helped it turn out like the pictures, don't know how they did that in the air fryer.

20210305_182657.jpg

The one my missus got me a couple of weeks ago has been great for the sausages , bacon, whole tomatoes and hash browns for breakfast...eggs done on the hob but a lot less grease. It’s not going to be one of those kitchen gadgets that ends up in the back of a cupboard.

🤷 Haven't used it yet. My partner bought it, even though I do most of the cooking, presumably because of my penchant for deep frying and their desire to eat healthier.
Did you get it yet? Have you used it? How does it work?

Did you get it yet? Have you used it? How does it work?
Yeah, and I've posted some results here. Right now the biggest issue is how much I can cook at once, so I'm limited to things that take less than 15 minutes or so to do batches. The food I e done has turned out pretty good. Will get better with experience I am sure.

Back
Top Bottom