• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cooking with an air fryer

ASHES

An Uncertain Person
Dungeon Master
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Just picked up a fancy new air fryer, hoping to replace the deep dryer and toaster oven on the counter. Does anyone have one, or have experience using one, and have a few ideas for recipes they would recommend? Never used one, but I love deep frying stuff.

Just picked up a fancy new air fryer, hoping to replace the deep dryer and toaster oven on the counter. Does anyone have one, or have experience using one, and have a few ideas for recipes they would recommend? Never used one, but I love deep frying stuff.
I got one last year. No fancy recipes but when you want to fry something, no mess and really quick. A favorite is just throwing some beef patties in and in pretty short order, you have some tasty burgers.

I got one last year. No fancy recipes but when you want to fry something, no mess and really quick. A favorite is just throwing some beef patties in and in pretty short order, you have some tasty burgers.
Interesting, I'm going to be making Salisbury steak tomorrow, so I'll give it a try instead of subzero bbqing.

Cant fry anything with a wet batter...so don't toss the deep fryer just yet.
Thanks for the tip! I think Chinese chicken balls are the only wet batter dish I make but I can always use a frying pan or pull the fryer out.

I got an Airfryer Oven a few years ago and it works great for mozzarella sticks. I really haven't tried much real cooking with it but it should be fine for chicken. The thing has all kinds of skewers and baskets and stuff but I've never used any of those. Frankly, it's been just as easy for me to use the regular oven instead of hauling the air fryer out of the garage then hauling it back when I'm done.

Breaded chicken breasts in an air fryer are amazing.

I got an Airfryer Oven a few years ago and it works great for mozzarella sticks. I really haven't tried much real cooking with it but it should be fine for chicken. The thing has all kinds of skewers and baskets and stuff but I've never used any of those. Frankly, it's been just as easy for me to use the regular oven instead of hauling the air fryer out of the garage then hauling it back when I'm done.
We do like the Costco mozza sticks, interested to see how those turn out. I plan on keeping it on the kitchen counter full time, and removing the toaster oven, which only gets used when the main oven is being used. If I had to haul the giant air fryer out each time it probably wouldn't be worth the effort.

Breaded chicken breasts in an air fryer are amazing.
I make my own chicken or pork nuggets once a week usually, so should save me a ton of time on cleanup. If they taste as good/better with less oil, all the better.

People think that it dries burgers out but it sorta fries the outside first and the inside is still kinda juicy. Recommend a mesh rack for crunchy stuff. Can make a pretty mean potato air frying it for 15-20 minutes then adding butter or whatnot later. If its big enough to fit a pizza can cook a pizza in like 8 minutes but you gotta fine tune your cook time quite a bit. Great for french fries or extra crispy sweet potato fries. Some models have a food dehydrator setting.

Its not that great with stuff like jalepeno poppers and cheese sticks that stuff still needs the greasy unhealthy oil to be good.

Kinda good for ribs if you have a pressure cooker. Just pressure cook the meat for less than 10 minutes in brine water so its soft and air fry and marble but pan fry marbling tastes thicker and better.

You gotta try this if you are a KFC lover like I am. The good wife tried it last weekend and it's awesome.

LOVE MINE! I had a regular one and now I have an air fryer oven. Use it for almost everything.

As for recipes, almost everything. However if you use it for foods that are already fried and frozen...they are spectacular. Like fries, tots, onion rings, wings, etc. Not healthier of course, since they've been pre-fried, but just amazing.

I make awesome healthy banana bread in the AF oven. Great for baking pizzas or reheating them.

It does take some experimentation with things to get them right tho (for the non-frozen/fried stuff). For cooking tips and recipes, I joined a couple of Facebook AF groups.

You gotta try this if you are a KFC lover like I am. The good wife tried it last weekend and it's awesome.

Thanks! I have a couple bags of chicken legs I've been looking at recipes for, that would probably be good.

People think that it dries burgers out but it sorta fries the outside first and the inside is still kinda juicy. Recommend a mesh rack for crunchy stuff. Can make a pretty mean potato air frying it for 15-20 minutes then adding butter or whatnot later. If its big enough to fit a pizza can cook a pizza in like 8 minutes but you gotta fine tune your cook time quite a bit. Great for french fries or extra crispy sweet potato fries. Some models have a food dehydrator setting.

Its not that great with stuff like jalepeno poppers and cheese sticks that stuff still needs the greasy unhealthy oil to be good.

Kinda good for ribs if you have a pressure cooker. Just pressure cook the meat for less than 10 minutes in brine water so its soft and air fry and marble but pan fry marbling tastes thicker and better.
It looks like it has a pressure cooker built in. I have a thick manual to read. Don't have one of those so it's a bonus if it does. Thanks for the tips too.

LOVE MINE! I had a regular one and now I have an air fryer oven. Use it for almost everything.
That's very encouraging!

As for recipes, almost everything. However if you use it for foods that are already fried and frozen...they are spectacular. Like fries, tots, onion rings, wings, etc. Not healthier of course, since they've been pre-fried, but just amazing.

I make awesome healthy banana bread in the AF oven. Great for baking pizzas or reheating them.

It does take some experimentation with things to get them right tho (for the non-frozen/fried stuff). For cooking tips and recipes, I joined a couple of Facebook AF groups.
I have a big bag of frozen hashbrown patties, can't wait to try it.

Quality and results have a lot to do with temperature and time and wattage. If you join the FB groups, you can usually find people that have worked all that out, including for your particular brand/model.

Or you can experiment. I do both. Once you get the hang of it, you can do it pretty much yourself.

What makes an air fryer different than a toaster oven?

What makes an air fryer different than a toaster oven?
🤷 Haven't used it yet. My partner bought it, even though I do most of the cooking, presumably because of my penchant for deep frying and their desire to eat healthier.

🤷 Haven't used it yet. My partner bought it, even though I do most of the cooking, presumably because of my penchant for deep frying and their desire to eat healthier.
Okay, maybe after you get it and use it a few times I'll ask.

Okay, maybe after you get it and use it a few times I'll ask.
It's just waiting to be washed. I'll probably post my results and impressions of them here as I go.

Congratulations! I think you will like it.
I have a Cuisinart and have been using the recipes that came with my model.
I love making homemade french fries with the air fryer.
One thing I've noticed is that you have to watch because everything seems to cook quicker than a recipe states.

Back
Top Bottom