• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Amazon is adding a 5% fuel and inflation surcharge

Loulit01

What We've Got Here is a Failure to Communicate
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

Um, hey Amazon...

3,110.82+95.07 (+3.15%)
At close: April 13 04:00PM EDT
3,117.87 +7.05 (+0.23%)
Pre-Market: 6:54AM ED

Why Amazon Pays No Corporate Taxes​

But we're not getting gauged. This is all Biden's fault.

Um, hey Amazon...

3,110.82+95.07 (+3.15%)
3,117.87 +7.05 (+0.23%)

You do understand that rising prices also affects the cost of goods sold, yes?

Um, hey Amazon...

3,110.82+95.07 (+3.15%)
3,117.87 +7.05 (+0.23%)

OK, but this retailer raised prices by 25%.

As did most to some extent…

Was that not evil as well?

OK, but this retailer raised prices by 25%.

As did most to some extent…

Was that not evil as well?
What's your point? We're getting gauged by everyone? Okay, fine.

Fuel surcharges are nothing new. I see them all the time with concrete ready mix suppliers, lumberyards, companies which provide dumpsters, etc. When their expenses go up, then of course the prices have to go up as well.

No, my point is that blaming Amazon and other companies, who are also facing higher prices, is silly. One might as well blame airline disasters on gravity.

Inflation is a serious economic problem because it's so hard to solve. By its very nature it creates a negative feedback loop: higher prices beget still higher prices. This is almost certainly going to be a painful fix for all of us. It's why at least some of us were concerned about the free spending policies of the federal government over the last 18 months and the fed's cheap money policies.

Quite simply, both Washington and the fed have botched the recovery. And we've all now begun to pay the price for that, literally.

Nope, my point is that when cost of sales increase then one must increase their prices in order to maintain the same profit.

As a self-employed handyman, my (time plus materials) billing method does that almost automatically. I charge my customers the actual cost (and provide them receipts) for material used on their job plus an hourly charge (which I disclose in advance) for my labor. As material costs change (rise or fall) my customers’ bills reflect those changes.

I said almost because changes in the cost of my tools, equipment, transportation and living expenses impact the profitability of my hourly labor rate (which, due to inflation, I must occasionally increase). Sometimes, a job will require tool rental, for which I also bill the customer at actual cost, and I advise them in advance that charge will appear on their bill.

Back
Top Bottom